suspension lift. single shock vs. dual shock vs. single shock w/ resovoir? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 11:08 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
suspension lift. single shock vs. dual shock vs. single shock w/ resovoir?

hey guys,
looking to lift my currently stock 02' f-350. interested in a 8" lift on 37's or maybe a 6" lift on 35's.

anyway my question is what kind of lift do you all have or recommend? I've heard that single shocks burn out faster (and they also look so small on such a big truck), dual shocks may be too much for what i need, and single shock with a resovoir might be just right. i would love to go with coilover suspension but that is way too pricey. looking for more opinions, facts, any help at all.

i do tow a boat so im looking to keep tow quality and somewhat ride quality in the picture, and go off roading every now and then, nothing extrem just a dirt road and some small mud patches. any input helps, thanks!

pictures are always cool too so feel free to add them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 04:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
s res shock is more for keeping the oil cool. nothing to do with ride really. duals can be ultra stiff if not being used heavyily offroad, but then the oil gets hot and ruins seals..... a 2.0 / 7100 series or larger is adjustable and rebuildable, you can valve to your liking and they look great.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:41 PM

Dual shocks I heard stiffen the ride up alot. If you went with say Icon kit with blisteen 5100s or Icons vs 2.0 non resivor you would get a pretty nice ride. Resivor shocks I heard will prolong the life of a shock and slightly increase the ride quality.

Stay away from emulsion shocks and go with nitrogen also..
Old 07-31-2012, 10:55 AM

awesome thanks guys. sounds like bilstein has the best option when it comes to shocks.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:45 PM

fox is also comparable, has many choices and can be had for a little less.

my choice would KING, BILSTEIN, FOX....in that order, but it would depend on application and what i was doin. for a lifted street truck with little offroad i would run fox. medium duty dirt run bilstein, and all out rough speed on dirt ....king all the way.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:53 PM

When you order duals you should get them valved for the application
Old 07-31-2012, 05:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to White7.3stroker
I have duals on the front of mine and it doesn't seem to be that stiff but then again I haven't ever drove it with a single up front..and I have thought about seeing if I could make it ride better by taking one off but idk..and I have a 6inch lift on mine..

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Old 08-01-2012, 02:42 AM

depending on the shock, it may react softe on compression, but you may not like rebound. as said, if you run duals , your better choice would be a shock that you can custom valve, set one up to take all the compression and one for rebound. a better choice would be a single 2.65 or 3.0, vavled correctly for the spring.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Like some have already mentioned, when getting dual or multiple shock kits, make sure the shocks are valved accordingly or it will ride really stiff!

JP
Old 08-01-2012, 04:42 PM

hey jeremy, do you, or will you have anything for the 04 ish superduty, i am looking for a 3-4 " lift. may do coilover but would prefer to spend a little less.

mainly looking to go softer leafs up front.... truck is just a DD, but i dont prefer canned lift kits.

BTW< i have had nothing but great things out of my PP long arms on my 06 powerwagon, and it is lifted 8"....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
kit, lift, ride, shocks, suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.