Bilstein 5150s or 5100s? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bilstein 5150s or 5100s?

I want to upgrade to bilsteins due to the reviews. Which is best for mostly street use some towing. 6 inch lift w 37s. Any recommendations of other brands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Banned

Hey man, the 5150's!!!! ive ran both the 5100's are really good, but feel they work best on a gas truck, the 5150 is the best riding shock for a dd truck i thick, and seems that they do very well on the diesels. ive installed them on the 93 to 97 truck gas and diesel, and 2003 to 2010 trucks, and this is what we do at the shop gas gets 5100 diesel gets 5150's. But no bs they both are good shocks. thanks calvin
Old 07-29-2012, 07:53 PM
Serving Our Country!

interested as well

Just got a lift and am looking for shocks, the Bilsteins that is...My buddy says the resevour shocks are over kill for a street use truck and I'd be wasting money...I"m not sure, but is there any money well spent by having an adjustable shock for street use? Are there any well known setting, i.e., 8 clicks up from factory setting that feel better than a nonadjustable one?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin
Old 07-29-2012, 09:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to WydOpen
Subscribing! My 2010 rides better than my old 2006, but always looking to get a better ride out of it. The ProComp shocks on it are not all that great.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:44 PM

Yeah I'm running es9000s. Im on my 3rd set up front and 2nd on rear. they last about a year up front then get fade within 20-30 miles of driving.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:47 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonStroker View Post
Yeah I'm running es9000s. Im on my 3rd set up front and 2nd on rear. they last about a year up front then get fade within 20-30 miles of driving.

Hmmm....Every year shock change doesn't sound very promising....Why not try a new shock to see if you can get some more life out of them? Are you good with replacing them every year?

Just curious and your circumstances may very well be different than mine...

KVB
Old 07-30-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonStroker View Post
I want to upgrade to bilsteins due to the reviews. Which is best for mostly street use some towing. 6 inch lift w 37s. Any recommendations of other brands?
do the 5160's they ride great, softens up the ride a little, and look killer!
Old 07-30-2012, 04:49 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
the bilstein line in all is a little stiffer than stock, the dif in a 5100 and a 5160 is little more specific valving, but the small res, should help with keeping the oil a little cooler. on a street truck you probably dont need the res. but if it see any offroad it will help a lot.

on the other hand, a 7100 series is rebuildable and also valvable to the like of the driver.....
Old 08-08-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVB-R View Post
Hmmm....Every year shock change doesn't sound very promising....Why not try a new shock to see if you can get some more life out of them? Are you good with replacing them every year?

Just curious and your circumstances may very well be different than mine...

KVB
Yes I dont mind because when I bought them from 4wheelparts.com they offered a "no questions asked" warranty for $16. So I take them back as soon as I notice bad fade usually after about a year and a half in the summer. They get a weak spot up front because the front end doesn't get a ton of travel. I am gonna pick up some 5150s.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Check out IKON Racing shocks. They used to be Donahoe Racing. I bought their shocks 8 years and 130,000 miles ago and they are going strong. They have no external resevoirs, have internal bumpstops, are self adjusting, and come with a lifetime warranty. I had my rear shocks start leaking, at different times, and they replaced them without issue. I actually purchased them through Wheelers Offroad online our of Oregon. They are great guys to work with. At the time I paid $75 each. I believe model 7100 up front and 7105 in the rear, the rears being 2" longer. I only run 4" lift, but they are good for at 6", maybe 8. I actually think the rears are too long. I'd get the same front and rear. the 7100 front shocks have 10" travel. There have been some times I wished I had double up front, but not very often. Pretty much only when I've been going faster down rougher backroads. I even caught full air a few times....with my camper shell, tools, etc bringing me over 9000 lb total, and the shocks still did good enough, but in that case I really wished I had doubles. When the time comes to replace them, I'll double up. On road and heavy towing, they hold up just fine.

Call or email Wheelers Offroad with any questions. They'll help you.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.