Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Shock advive

2K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  OCVeloMan 
#1 ·
I'm runnin 35's on my 2004 f350 fx4 and have blown front shocks. I have 3" lift need 11" travel. Can't decide between bilstein 5160 reservoir and fox 2.0 reservoir. Found website that has both for 179.95. Any input would be great.

#2 ·
couple questions, are you keeping the truck any real length of time, does it have stock springs up front, and are you relatively mechanically inclined.

if yes to keeping and mechanical abillity, get the fox. ( or even a bilstein 7100 or similar ) you can do a few things with these,

they are rebuildable if needed, and if you understand how to valve them, you can really control the ride of your truck. you might want to research some people who have done some valving for these trucks, and try to find a stock spring rate....... you can try calling carli to start, but they seem to be more coilover directed.

all in all in say the fox at least, and learn valving, then start having fun.

#8 ·
Not so much coilover, Carli only makes for the 2005+ coil sprung trucks. Coilovers are often purchased for the 1999-2004 trucks wanting to do the 05+ suspension given the kit includes the radius arm drop and coilover mounts.

I would agree with the above, the fox 2.0s being fully rebuildable with bearings in the rod ends (assuming they're not bushings) are more comparable to the 7100 bilsteins, not the 5160. Keep in mind the 5160 are coated by bilsteins tripple C coating and not sealed, thus are prone to tarnishing. I would say go with the foxes if the price is the same and both come wiht standard valving.

#4 ·
Thanks for input. I will be keeping truck for many tears to come... And I am pretty mechanically inclined. I am an a/c mechanic by trade. And I do all my own work on everything. So I could prob. Research valving options and do it myself. The website the shocks are on, says the first revalve is free, so that's cool. I'm leaning toward the fox for the reason that they are rebuildable

#5 ·
check out PROFENDER, 2" with resi's, plus the shaft is 13/16 over fox's 5/8. they are like kings but cheaper. you can get them in a pintop so they bolt right in. plus they fully rebuildable and adjustable. i love mine.

gb

#11 ·
Checked out bilsteins 7100 series, think I'm gonna run those, the have a short body build with almost identical measurements as my current shocks, with the same travel. They offer 6 different valveing options, I don't know anything about the numbers at this point. If someone here knows what the ratio numbers mean, and knows what is good on our super duty trucks, let me know please

#15 ·
like i said, mine was setup by others.... the box if i recall said 175/90 ???? looks like bilstein offers 170/60 , but my setup was on a coilspring truck. i couldnt really offer anything yet for this one. i am still in the purchasing phse of this build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.