What to do after lifting 05+ SD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What to do after lifting 05+ SD

I had a Rough Country 6" lift installed a few weeks ago. Rolling on a set of 35" Toyos and 20x12 wheels. I love how it came out. It doesnt pull to either side and handles great. HOWEVER, it scrubs the inside fender when I turn it all the way to the left, but not the right?? If I turn the the left all the way and hit a bump it sounds like its about to tear the fender well out..lol

Installer says I shouldn't need an alignment. Which it does track strait as an arrow. But what about Castor?

I don't know any shops around me who specialize in alignments on lifted trucks. And I don't want to pay a shop money to come out the same as it did going in.

Can someone give me an idea on what I need to do to make sure everything is right. Should it be aligned even though it doesn't pull? Any Ideas on why it scrubs to the left and not to the right? Can this be adjusted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 03:00 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should always do an alignment with either new tires or new suspension or steering parts, even though it doesnt pull that doesnt mean your tires areny pigeon toed. Its cheap insurance to help your tires last longer, it shouldnt rub either way with the size you have for tires and lift but they can fix it
Old 07-25-2012, 03:38 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you may a track bar issue, you truck may still track straight if the toe wasnt changed, but that dosnt mean that the track bar is adjusted correctly or the drop bracket if equipped isnt quite correct. this will cause the axle housing to be shifted to the driver side, and there fore creating a possible rubbing scenario.

now, on a diferent note, why such a wide wheel, have you ever researched srub lines ? and why these are important to wear of parts and overall saftey to your self and others...... start looking at scrub line and see if you care to still run a wide offset wheel.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:45 PM

I have been reading into the trac bar issue and I think you may be correct. I need to find an adjustable trac bar.

I went with the 20x12 simply because I love the look of a deep dish wheel. I had 20x12's on 40" Toyos on my old 02 7.3 with 12" of lift and never had a single issue out of it the 180k I owned it. (Drivetrain wise)

I eventually plan on going up another 2 inches of lift to run a 37/13.50 . The tires I have now are 35/12.50 blown out on the rims...

I need to do some research I guess and find a good alignment shop to check it out for me!
Old 07-25-2012, 03:49 PM

even if the trac bar is off to one side it's not the end of the world ,, but an adjustable one like precision Metal Fa sells would center he axle

mine has been off for a few thousand miles I just haven't got around to getting it situated
Old 07-25-2012, 03:50 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i am by no means saying wide wheels are bad, but look into scrub line, and youll see what i mean, typically the large diameter lets one run deeper offset, this offsets the scrubline back to a stock or ideal range.

it sounds like a drop bracket was installed, but the track bar is stock or non adjustable..... i would start by doing some measuring from the rails down.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:28 PM

Yeah the kit def. had a drop bracket and used the stock track bar.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:31 AM

get the adjustable trac bar first and then the alignment. icon and precision metal fab make nice units. personally i would go with the pmf unit, seems more heavy duty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.