Squeak Squeaking Front Leaf Springs 1999 2000 Kit Insulator Repair Kit TSB 99-16-3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 11:28 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Squeak Squeaking Front Leaf Springs 1999 2000 Kit Insulator Repair Kit TSB 99-16-3

Tired of looking this issue up on multiple websites, so here's as much info., in one place, to help the next person.

The original TSB is TSB 99-16-3. The fix as of today, 7/24/2012, is a kit that comes with 8 plastic pieces. The current part number is 1C3Z-5B302-AA. The parts fit a particular front spring style, width, etc.

Squeak in front springs. It appears that this issue began in 1999, and although it is not mentioned in the Ford TSB system, it continued into 2000. At some point in 2000, a change in the front springs occurred. Some owners have purchased this kit and modified the parts, or omitted some of the parts, to fix their squeaky springs for other model years after the 2000 spring change occurred.

Here's what FireMe from Ford-Trucks.com posted:

There's a few things you should know about the isolator kit. First, it is intended for 1999-2000 SD's that have mid-eye front main leafs. That is, the lower spring contacts the upper spring only at the eye and not along its entire length. Ford changed the design on later models to a flat upper leaf and the spring isolators last longer on them because of a larger contact area.

Second, the kit contains a lower spring isolator that is similar to the factory one, except it is made of a much harder plastic. There is also an upper isolator that mounts on the spring eye and provides a contact surface for the lower isolator. The two isolators contact each other so you have a plastic-on-plastic sliding action, instead of plastic on metal. These last a very long time compared to the originals. Sorry, no pics.

I suppose you could buy the kit and just use the lower isolators, but that would mean throwing away half of what you paid for. There is no way to use the upper isolators on a later vehicle with the flat main leafs, and there really isn't any reason to.

If you want isolators similar to what were installed at the factory, just go to the dealership and purchase some. The part numbers for the isolators were made available in a TSB and they should be able to look them up. I can't get on that part of Ford's system from home, so I don't have the TSB number handy, but it is still valid as I just looked it up a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure a spring shop could get you the same thing.

Jay

Squeaky Springs - Isolator Kit Questions - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Squeak in front right leaf spring. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fullt...hp?tsb=99-16-3

This is for the FRONT springs. Of course, the rear springs squeak as well, but that's different TSB's and parts, or maybe some of these parts. It's a bit of a hodgepodge of information when you research it.

Back to the parts in the kit... They are a hard white plastic. Some guys say teflon, but they don't look like my egg skillet, so I'm saying plastic. The plastic pieces fit between the springs so that the metal of the springs don't rub each other and squeak. Supposedly, the original pieces were too soft and wore out quickly. They may be completely missing if yours are worn completely through.

Again, the current part number is 1C3Z-5B302-AA. My Ford dealer looked it up for 1/2 an hour, repeatedly saying it's obsolete, doesn't exist, can't find it, no such thing--the excuse train. But, alas, he found it, ordered, it, and I got it. $50-ish. The part numbers have changed, superseded, etc. The original TSB 99-16-3 states part number F81Z-5586-AA. Note that the TSB is from 1999 and even though it applies to some 2000, I could never find an official source. My truck is a 2000 and it is the correct kit.

TSB
99-16-3
SUSPENSION - FRONT LEAF SPRINGS - "SQUEAKING" NOISE HEARD WHILE DRIVING
NOISE - "SQUEAKING" NOISE HEARD FROM FRONT LEAF SPRINGS WHILE DRIVING
Publication Date: JULY 23, 1999

FORD:
1999 SUPER DUTY F SERIES
ISSUE:

A "squeaking" noise may be heard from the front springs as they compress during driving on some vehicles. This may be due to debris imbedding between the front spring tip isolators and the front springs.

ACTION:

Replace front spring tip isolators with revised isolators. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Raise the vehicle so that the front axle is allowed to hang freely suspended (lift vehicle by frame).
Use a prybar to open gap between two (2) leaves.
CAUTION: PRIOR TO STEP 3, IT MAY BE NECESSARY TO REDUCE THE HEIGHT OF THE CENTER BARBED NUB WHICH PROTRUDES THROUGH THE LEAF. CAUTION SHOULD BE TAKEN NOT TO NICK OR GOUGE INTO THE METAL OF THE LEAF.
Pry out worn tip isolator.
Using pliers to hold the replacement spring tip isolator on the locator flange and maintaining force on the prybar to keep two (2) leaves separate, position the isolator so that center barbed nub fits into the hole of the lower leaf and the two (2) locator flanges are oriented outboard of the spring.
Remove prybar and allow leaves to close on each other.
Follow Steps 2-5 for both front and rear front spring tip isolators.
Lower vehicle.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
F81Z-5586-AA Front Spring Tip Isolator (Qty. 4)
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:

NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
991603A Replace Front Spring Tip Isolators 0.5 Hr.
DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
5586 49
OASIS CODES:

304000, 390000, 702100, 790000
Attached Thumbnails
Squeak Squeaking Front Leaf Springs 1999 2000 Kit Insulator Repair Kit TSB 99-16-3-2012-07-24-08.57.10.jpg   Squeak Squeaking Front Leaf Springs 1999 2000 Kit Insulator Repair Kit TSB 99-16-3-2012-07-24-10.09.01.jpg   Squeak Squeaking Front Leaf Springs 1999 2000 Kit Insulator Repair Kit TSB 99-16-3-2012-07-24-10.09.19.jpg  

Last edited by heykerrdog; 07-24-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: added link to tab
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My Icon 8" leaf springs have the squeak sometimes..
Old 07-24-2012, 11:19 PM
Premium Member

My truck is a squeaks so bad. It's really annoying lol
Old 07-25-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker0920 View Post
My truck is a squeaks so bad. It's really annoying lol
White lithium gease works for quite a while.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:55 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20046.0 View Post
White lithium gease works for quite a while.
I think that will just have to hold me over until I get my x-codes and mini spring pack lol.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:10 PM

Old thread but I did mine last night. The old OEM pads were gone, only the nubs remained, and the lower springs were wearing from the upper round spring rubbing and sqeaking. Damage was occuring so this isn't just a sound issue.

Anyway, the 13z part number still works.

The nipple that falls into the OEM spring hole is bigger on the new pads than what it seems it should be but get it in there and then drive the truck to force the nipple home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.