4 link vs adjustable link arms - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4 link vs adjustable link arms

So im looking at one of these options for the front of my truck. Right now i have an 8" icon lift, 2.0 icon monotube shocks and dual steering stabilizer with bilstein shocks. Im looking to improve my ride, improve handling and tighten up steering feeling. What are the advantages of both? While searching i saw a bunch of prople who said the wanted the ala's but already had the 4 link or it was on order. So this leads me to believe that the 3 link may be more desireable. I dont want a brand battle (ouo vs pmf) but why doesnt ouo make a 4 link? Pmf makes both? My truck is 95% street driven, tow occassionally and just built for a good time(no rock crawling, high speed desert racing or deep mudding). So if i can get opinions on both and feedback on both that would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 08:46 AM

I have heard comments from people with various 4 link kits that you can feel the sway

where as the solid radius or 3 link does not have side ways flex

I am leaning towards the 3 link to loose my stockers

also PMF told ME He didn't know if the 4 link would work with an 8 inch lift ? not sure why We didn't discuss it in depth

also on the steering note almost all the fords I have driven could use some steering gear adjustments
Old 07-07-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
I have heard comments from people with various 4 link kits that you can feel the sway

where as the solid radius or 3 link does not have side ways flex

I am leaning towards the 3 link to loose my stockers

also PMF told ME He didn't know if the 4 link would work with an 8 inch lift ? not sure why We didn't discuss it in depth
I was leaning towards the 3 also but when talking to trevor he said he suggest a 4 for anything over 6". Now im confused.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:06 AM

Well I just reread the Email

it's the 3 links that are maxed out at 6-7 inches I was going to Buy Chris Corbin's
so I hit trever up

sorry bout the confusion

I still wonder if the 3 links will work with a drop radius bracket ? We both already have them ,, the 3 link is cool because you can dial the axle camber in the 4 links just add keeping the axle angel the same through it's travel ,, at least thats my take

Last edited by ZMANN; 07-07-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:14 AM

Glad we git that clear. I asked him about the use of a radius arm drop bracket but havent heard back. Will update when i do. According to ouo you can use a drop bracket for lifts over 6" with their kit.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Yes, you certainly could use a drop bracket with a 3-link setup. We havent built any in the past but I could design some if you wanted. It would require the removal of your stock radius arm mount on the frame which is a large task by itself as these are held in place with 10ish hot rivets, some on the inside of the bracket. An air chiesel would be needed to do so. I typically recommend a 4-link on the larger lift heights.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:35 AM

I got a 7" and PMF's 3 link and they work great and look killer! I would do the 3 link!
Old 07-07-2012, 12:35 PM

I couldnt just bolt the 3 link to the icon drop bracket. The 3 link is supposed to replace the radius arms so it makes sense it would just bolt up. Its your product so you know best, im just trying to understand. Thanks
Old 07-07-2012, 02:19 PM

thats what I am thinking

u can use a pre existing drop bracket that would have been for a stock radius arm to implement the 3 link for a lift over 8 inches and did not require the removal of the stock unit .. I will have to go take some pics

Need a test truck PMF ;-)
Old 07-07-2012, 03:08 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
maybe i am mistaken , but i have yet to see a three link in this post. what is see is an adjustable RADIUS ARM setup.

my take is a four link will allow for better articulation, with less binding.

if you want high speed off terrain , go radius arm, it allows more travel with more of an actual arc motion, the 4 link is constantly changing caster.

if you look at the CARLI radius arms, they tried to conquer both worlds, by adding a dampner to one side to allow for some articulation, with out bind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.