Rear bump stops no clearance - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 05:31 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear bump stops no clearance

hey guys...

just curious about my new (used) truck. I noticed my rear bump stops don't have any clearance from the springs. On the left side, the bump stop and the spring touch. The right side there is about a 1/8" clearance between the two.

Is this normal? I wouldn't think so but this is my first 2006 f250.

A side note...I looked at the rear springs and they have "snaky s-curve" to them... not the normal arch curve.

Thanks,
Damon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Something is definitely not right. You should have 2.5-3.5" of clearance between the bumpstop tang and the bumpstop. Springs will typically have a slight arch to them but nothing huge. I wouldnt be concerned about their slight s shape except for the fact your bump stops are making contact. There is definitely something wrong or out of place with your setup. If you want, post up some pics of the springs, blocks, and bumpstop configuration. Might help get some better insight as to whats going on.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotStock View Post
Something is definitely not right. You should have 2.5-3.5" of clearance between the bumpstop tang and the bumpstop. Springs will typically have a slight arch to them but nothing huge. I wouldnt be concerned about their slight s shape except for the fact your bump stops are making contact. There is definitely something wrong or out of place with your setup. If you want, post up some pics of the springs, blocks, and bumpstop configuration. Might help get some better insight as to whats going on.
thanks NotStock,

I suspected the same thing and will take pictures tomorrow. I'm not interested in lifting my truck, so is there a good place to recommend for stock spring other than my local ford dealership?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It may have had a lift on it at some point and they use bump stop spacers when lift kits are used, pics will help but, the bump stops should be rubber and mounted directly to the frame. If there is any steel between the frame and the rubber stop then this is likely the case. Lots of people put their trucks back to stock before selling them!
Old 07-04-2012, 05:15 AM
Premium Member

IIRC the rear stock springs on these trucks should have 8" of arch static, a bit less when on the truck. It should be obvious and there definitely shouldn't be an S-shape. Sounds like it was over loaded alot and/or got a lot of wheel hop from bad burn-outs.

Bronco Graveyard has some stock replacements at $350 for the pair.

Could you be more specific about how the bumpstop is touching the springs? Shouldn't be anywhere near the springs. Are you talking about the bumpstop tang as NotStock assumed?
Old 07-04-2012, 05:24 AM

hey guys,

here are some pics of what I'm talking about.

F250 pictures by damonsjeep - Photobucket

I know it is not right, but I'm not sure what is causing it...Overload and springs are bad? Previous lift kit wasn't completely removed?

Let me know what you think,

Damon
Old 07-04-2012, 05:25 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg_064 View Post
IIRC the rear stock springs on these trucks should have 8" of arch static, a bit less when on the truck. It should be obvious and there definitely shouldn't be an S-shape. Sounds like it was over loaded alot and/or got a lot of wheel hop from bad burn-outs.

Bronco Graveyard has some stock replacements at $350 for the pair.

Could you be more specific about how the bumpstop is touching the springs? Shouldn't be anywhere near the springs. Are you talking about the bumpstop tang as NotStock assumed?
Thanks for the reference on the springs...
Old 07-04-2012, 05:31 AM
Premium Member

Lol............Those are NOT bumpstops......They're either Timbrens or Aircells....Poor mans airbags.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:35 AM
Premium Member

It also looks like the previous owner flipped the bottom overload to soften the ride. You might be able to just flip it back over. Though it kinda looks like the leaf pack has suffered some torture, I'd give it a shot.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg_064 View Post
Lol............Those are NOT bumpstops......They're either Timbrens or Aircells....Poor mans airbags.

So no need for concern? Is it a stock set up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bump stops, clearance, springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.