Best all around 4in Lift??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best all around 4in Lift???

Looking for some info for what would be the best riding quality lift at about 4in. Been looking at Carli, BDS, Pure Performance, and Zone Off Road any other and what are the ups and downs to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

We have a ton of options coming out and our lineup should be completely updated pretty soon! We are going back to black! We also have 2 5/8 R.R. shock options and 2 5/8 IFP shock options coming out soon! If you have any questions, give us our one of our dealers a shout. We will be more than happy to help you out...

JP
Old 06-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Both Pure and Carli make some great riding kits and how good the ride will depend on shock choice and rear lift options. Going to full leafs as opposed to blocks or even mini packs will give you the best ride improvement in the rear. The other key is to use the custom valved shock setups as opposed to the standard off the shelf Bilstein 5100's and other shocks. In the Carli kits I would suggest either the Backcountry or Pintop kits and in the Pure kits I would team either the Triple Threat or Chase series kit with one of the Prodigy shock options.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

This is what I would put if I were to put a 4" lift kit on a 08 truck. I would go with an Icon kit set up with One Up Offroad ALA arms and to deal with axle wrap get a set of OUO traction bars/blocks. It will tighten up your steering (less wander), Zero bumpsteer, a better turning radius than stock (well depending on your choice of wheels), and absolutely no wheel hop with no adverse affect on ride quality. Also, it would be wise to upgrade your shocks. You can go from mild to wild in a heartbeat with shocks.

I would talk to Marty at Truck Toyz. He has many years of experience and isn't going to sell you something you don't need. Very knowledgeable guy in the industry.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by layson View Post
This is what I would put if I were to put a 4" lift kit on a 08 truck. I would go with an Icon kit set up with One Up Offroad ALA arms and to deal with axle wrap get a set of OUO traction bars/blocks. It will tighten up your steering (less wander), Zero bumpsteer, a better turning radius than stock (well depending on your choice of wheels), and absolutely no wheel hop with no adverse affect on ride quality. Also, it would be wise to upgrade your shocks. You can go from mild to wild in a heartbeat with shocks.

I would talk to Marty at Truck Toyz. He has many years of experience and isn't going to sell you something you don't need. Very knowledgeable guy in the industry.

I would call George at 8Lug (SKYD RAM) and he will get you setup. He knows his way aroung the HD world and will keep you away from things that will adversly affect your ride quality if you're not planning to put down 600whp like traction blocks. A standard 4.5" suspension lift with a full spring pack in the rear will work wonders to clean up the ride of the truck and proper rear sping packs combat axle wrap.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCVeloMan View Post

I would call George at 8Lug (SKYD RAM) and he will get you setup. He knows his way aroung the HD world and will keep you away from things that will adversly affect your ride quality if you're not planning to put down 600whp like traction blocks. A standard 4.5" suspension lift with a full spring pack in the rear will work wonders to clean up the ride of the truck and proper rear sping packs combat axle wrap.

The OP asked for an OPINION on what was the best all around 4" lift kit. If it were me, or my Dad, my buddy, whomever this is what I tell them to do. Marty at Truck Toyz and Dave at One Up Offroad have been doing this for a very long time. They are a wealth of information for the op, even if he doesn't chose to buy from him.

Enlighten me and please explain why my choice in setup would adversely affect ride quality?

Explain how a "proper rear spring pack" combats axle wrap?
Old 06-29-2012, 12:23 PM

A "proper rear spring pack" will always ask (with a British accent) if it is permitted to wrap. D'uh.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betaracer View Post
A "proper rear spring pack" will always ask (with a British accent) if it is permitted to wrap. D'uh.
LOL

The OP has a sparten tuned truck. I bet he could get that truck hopping, skipping, banging through the gears down the road with a set of real soft springs and no traction bars in the rear. I bet he could REALLY get it going if he threw a trailer behind him. He probably would be dragging bottom too. LOL

I know! He could throw a set of KING bypass shocks in the rear and it would all go away!
Old 07-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Any well tuned set of shocks will help reduce wrap. For bigger trucks, we would recommend at least going with a 2.5" diameter shock or larger! It does not have to be a Bypass Shock. It takes a good amount of knowledge to properly tune a bypass shock and they certainly are not for everyone! Especially everyone's budget! LOL.

Good luck with your build and your decision. It certainly seems like you are putting in your homework on how to get the best product possible.

JP

Quote:
LOL

The OP has a sparten tuned truck. I bet he could get that truck hopping, skipping, banging through the gears down the road with a set of real soft springs and no traction bars in the rear. I bet he could REALLY get it going if he threw a trailer behind him. He probably would be dragging bottom too. LOL

I know! He could throw a set of KING bypass shocks in the rear and it would all go away!
Old 07-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:

The OP asked for an OPINION on what was the best all around 4" lift kit. If it were me, or my Dad, my buddy, whomever this is what I tell them to do. Marty at Truck Toyz and Dave at One Up Offroad have been doing this for a very long time. They are a wealth of information for the op, even if he doesn't chose to buy from him.

Enlighten me and please explain why my choice in setup would adversely affect ride quality?

Explain how a "proper rear spring pack" combats axle wrap?
The setup you recommended replaces rear spring travel with a block to compensate for extreme amounts of horsepower. Doens't seem like an all-around solution, but as you said, this is an opinion based thread. A proper spring pack is one that is engineered to combat axle wrap, relocates the center pin to allow for larger tires and supports a decent amount of travel for a given lift height.

That is my opinion of a good "all around setup." As Pure said above, a good shock combination will help trememndously and pairing it with a good coil and spring pack will net you more travel, a more comfortable ride and the ability to combat axle wrap when throwing down decent power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.