Air tank regulator(s) for air bags? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Air tank regulator(s) for air bags?

I got the Load Lifter 5000 setup from AirLift, but wanted OBA and didn't like their compressor setups. So instead I bought a ARB CKMA12 High Output compressor, ~2.2CFM@30psi w/50% duty cycle....Around the same time I was wandering around Sears and they had their 26 gallon air compressors on sale at $30 less than the 20gals and it came with a 1/2" impact & 3/8" ratchet(I have nicer ones, but hey it's a deal). Point of saying that was I have a small 4 gallon craftman that I figured I'd canabalize as extra reserve for the OBA and my dad could use the compressor since he's got a tank with a busted compressor.

Anyways, I'm looking for general opinions on the setup......Imagine if you could. Compressor fills tanks, tanks' output has a T-fitting, one for hose hookup(tires, light tool use) and one that leads back to the cab and T's into 2 regular air tank turn knob regulators. Each regulator obviously controls one air bag...And near the air bags there will still be a scrader valve T'd in with a manual check vavle between it and the regs for manual adjustment in case of regulator failure....Clear as mud?

It all sounds good in my head. Tanks should always stay at pressure when running the truck...If there's a small leak in the system, after I turn the truck on in the morning and wait for the glow plugs to go out I filp on the compressor and everything should pop back to proper pressure...And if a regulator or any parts fail I should be able to pick them up at a local hardware/hydraulic shop instead of ordering from Airlift...Not to mention enough air for truck & trailer tires and some light air tool usage. Oh yea, and still adjustable on the fly like the company systems, just with a turn instead of a push.

Last edited by jerg_064; 06-09-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
In theory, it will work. I have never seen anyone use a regulator to adjust the bag pressure but I see one issue. The check valve will allow the regulator to fill the bags but you will still need a valve after the check valve to dump the air.

Traditional setups are just solenoids that let air in or out and a gauge to monitor pressure. More advanced setups are digital or use a automatic valve that has a arm to measure height and fill or bleed as necessary.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:49 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If your taking about the check valve by the bags & schrader I said it'd be manual...I guess I used the wrong terminology, maybe I should of said gate. I'm talking about a ball valve or something like it, not a one way. It'll be open most of the time and the in cab regs can dump excess air pressure. It'll only be closed if I have a leak develop and then I'll have to use the schraders.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ya, the manual check valve was a bit confusing. A check valve is designed to allow flow in one direction. A manual valve would work for what you want and if you use a regulator that can dump excess pressure you will be good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.