Can I get a better ride without a lift - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can I get a better ride without a lift

It seems when my truck was new it rode a bit softer than it does now. It is 13 years old but do the factory springs degrade that much? Everything is up to snuff, serviceable or recenlty replaced, in my steering linkage but I am probably due for new bushings for my leaf springs, sway bar and whatnot. I do have new shocks but the ride hasn't improved with those. I know replacing the bushings will remove a lot of the rattling jolts. I have new tires all around 285/75 R16 on stock rims. Maybe it's just me but it sure seemed to ride a lot nicer when new. Will replacing the springs improve the ride tha much? I don't really want to lift it because then I won't be satisfied with my smallish tires. I don't want to spend four grand on a lift, tires and wheels just to smooth it out. Any suggestions?
Regards,

Dwight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

the factory springs provide the best ride acording to what i read...... what kind or shock did you buy, maby upgade to some bilsteins if you have not. also what kind of tires did you get, some E rated tires are very hard and will give you a harsh ride. D rated ones ride better but wear out faster so pick your poision.

or 4 link it with coilovers or air bags, or 05+ axle swap with coils !!!???
Old 06-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Can old springs degrade though and lose their ride with age? I have Monroe Reflex shocks on the front and Rancho's (not sure what type) on the rear. The tires are Bridgestone Duelers in 285/75 R16 and they are rated for load range E. I suppose it could be tires. I haul alot and kind of need the load rating but if my springs are shot that might be part of it. I had the day off and I have been researching this all day. I can't find an improved factory replacement spring at all but I did find a spendy little rubber bushed shackle called a sulastic rubber spring that claims it can help smooth the ride out.
Regards

Dwight
Old 06-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

try to get factory replacement bushings first. those are much more likely to wear out before the springs.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:57 AM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

Call cary at CT Perfromance.... he is the man for helping ride quility on OBS, SD, and Excersions...

I would stay away from the valet ride shackles as ive heard and read many bad thisgs that happen due to installing them
Old 06-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol_Blue97 View Post
Call cary at CT Perfromance.... he is the man for helping ride quility on OBS, SD, and Excersions...

I would stay away from the valet ride shackles as ive heard and read many bad thisgs that happen due to installing them
Yup Cary is the man hooked me up with my suspension. I would say stock leaf springs with blisteen 5100s. Cary probably will chime in
Old 06-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbienlein View Post
try to get factory replacement bushings first. those are much more likely to wear out before the springs.
I know the bushings need some attention. I kept hearing squeeking when I went over bumps. Thought it was my shocks but I was wrong, spring bushings are shot.

Quote:
I emailed a vendor the other day but I don't think it was him. I will give him a jingle and see what he says.

Quote:
I haven't read anything but good things about the sulastic rubber springs so far. Still researching though.

Regards,

Dwight

Last edited by StoneGuy; 06-06-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.