Leveling Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 04:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Leveling Questions

I am quite the newb when it comes to leveling kits and have a couple questions. My truck sits 41" from fender to ground in the front and 41.5" from fender to ground in the back currently. I am a 1/2" off of being level but most leveling kits are for 2-2.5". Is it really just a 2" lift?

A lot of the leveling kits also just seem to be either coil springs or coil spring spacers. Can I just buy new coil springs and new shocks a make a kit myself? What other components are required? Do I need a new track bar? What will I use to fix my caster alignment?

Any info would be great guys. My shocks are currently garbage. I bought the truck a couple months ago and it still has what appears to be the original shocks on it (115,000 miles). I was looking to do just a small lift (2-2.5") now instead of replacing shocks all the way around and lifting it in a year or so.

Thanks for the advice!

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012, 10:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

bump!
I could use this info too!
Old 06-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

bump!
I could use this info too!
Old 06-02-2012, 11:41 PM

Sounds to me like the truck has already been leveled. 1/2 inch difference is probably just spring sag. Stock and empty the rear would be about 2" higher than the front, and loaded to capacity would sit about level.

If you're that concerned about 1/2 inch, you might put something on you can adjust as your springs sag. Air bags or some type of shim maybe?
Old 06-03-2012, 02:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm wondering if the Harley's ride higher in the front from the factory? Just picked up a 2010 Harley F-250 a recently & after measuring last night, I am around the same height as the op - 40 3/4 front & 41 1/4 rear. It has not been leveled or modded at all. With 275/65/20's

If the Harley's are 2" higher from the factory (springs or?), I am now wondering if there would be any adverse effects from a leveling kit?
Old 06-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

A levelling kit is just a lift kit for the front only because most trucks come from the factory 2-3" higher in the rear. My F-250 was 2-1/2" higher in the rear so i originally put a 2-1/2" levelling kit on it which worked fine!

Some trucks have the snowplow option (or maybe other options also) that come with higher rate front springs which will already make the front sit higher.

If you are only going with a 2" levelling kit then you don't really need to worry about changing your trac bar, but if you go any more than that it would be a good idea.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If the Harley's are naturally higher in the front of the truck would I need to order different shocks? I have noticed some shocks come +2". Just want to make sure I don't waste money on anything. I was looking at doing 2" coil springs but its seems my Ford coil springs have already taken care of that. I was then going to add Top Gun Customz Night Hawk shocks as they require at least a 2" lift in the front.

Would I be good to just order the shocks? Would after market springs give me a better ride quality?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
We have kits complete with whats needed.. new progressive coils will ride better but if your looking for a real improvement you need a 4 link kit..min lift 2.5"

Night hawks are Pure Performance's..just coated Black

cary
Old 06-05-2012, 03:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Could anyone please give the stock front ride height of a 2010 F-250, with the factory 275/65/20's? I'm trying to determine if my Harley is already "leveled" from the factory sitting close to 41" - before I decide whether to add an inch or two more..

Thanks
Old 06-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What 4 inch lift with the 4 link system would you recommend for a truck that will not see much, if any, offroad use? I want a much smoother ride than I currently have. I need all new shocks all the way around right now and figured I would just lift it at the same time.

Are pure performance shocks decent as I like the look of them in the night hawks and want them to match the appearance look I am going for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.