Timbren vs airbags - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Timbren vs airbags

My truck doesn't have overloads so I am looking for a solution to keep the rear end from sagging so much when hauling and towing.

Riddle me this...with airbags I have to adjust them every time my load changes? So if I haul water in the morning, then hook to my dump trailer in the afternoon, then back to stock in the evening, I have to adjust each time by either letting air out, or swinging by my garage and airing up? Or perhaps if I drive 35 miles to the feed store and pick up a ton of feed, I need to air up before I leave or find a way to at the feed store? That is if I don't want to go the extra expense of an onboard compressor.

Just trying to get a handle on which way I want to go.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 01:13 PM

you can get on board control systems. for that scenario, it makes the best sense.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:44 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I went with airbags only because my truck has an 8 inch lift. I would have had to build a giant spacer to make the Timbrens work. If my truck was stock I would go with the Timbrens. No parts to break and no lines to leak air. I have 2 buddies that have them and they work awesome. No sagging.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:40 AM

Thanks guys. I'm thinking that as often as I change loads, airbags would be a pain in the budinski without going to the expense of an onboard compressor/control system. I'm thinking that an airbag system would be the berries for all situations, but $600+ vs $200 bolt on and forget it. Still, I might try to sweet talk the wife into the airbags. Any particular brand recommended?
Old 06-02-2012, 08:44 AM

Mike i had the Timbrens on my 2006 f 250, they are nice, and about 300 dollars. I sold the truck and now have a 2007 F 350 drw, i just put new shocks on this truck, i may do timbrens also.
Timbrens will take the sag out, but remember they dont increase your weight carrying capacity, i would still follow the vehicle GVWR sticker on the inside drivers door.
I tow a 12k 36ft fifth wheel, the F 250 was overweight with that fifth wheel, so i bought the f 350drw, but the timbrens did help when i towed with the f 250.
i did not want air bags for the reasons you mentioned, plus i have heard air bags wear out and leak after a few years of use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith View Post
Thanks guys. I'm thinking that as often as I change loads, airbags would be a pain in the budinski without going to the expense of an onboard compressor/control system. I'm thinking that an airbag system would be the berries for all situations, but $600+ vs $200 bolt on and forget it. Still, I might try to sweet talk the wife into the airbags. Any particular brand recommended?
Old 06-02-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubbock guy View Post
i did not want air bags for the reasons you mentioned, plus i have heard air bags wear out and leak after a few years of use.

I have had my Firestone Ride-Rite airbags on for the last 7 years without any problems.

I think they are great because you can fine tune them depending on how much weight you are hauling. But even if you don't get the compressor and are always hauling different weight loads you can just air them up 1/2 way or so and they will still do well with light or heavy loads.

I don't have the compressor kit, but I only haul my toyhauler trailer a few times a year and am fine with it.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:06 AM

I have had Firestone and Airlift

I love the Airlift wireless with preset memories or adjust on the fly .. and it can level side to side

Amazon and Craigslist got Me a deal

Oh can a Timbren hook up/ unhook to a trailer without using your tongue jack
Old 06-02-2012, 10:07 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
my weight dosent change, but i am overloaded. i have the overload springs, but my rear end was still sagging on the springs. ive got a set of firestones and they leveled my truck to look normal. they work for me so far with out a compressor.

bailey
Old 06-02-2012, 10:29 AM

the other cool thing about some of the compressor kits is they keepyour bags safe by maintaining the minimum 5psi not going over the max 100psi or holding any setting you put it

I hear my compressor run or sometimes exhaust pressure do to climate

there are also set ups that hold a stance or height on the truck by using a suspension mounted switch
Old 06-02-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
Oh can a Timbren hook up/ unhook to a trailer without using your tongue jack
Zmann, short answer no!, but then again your not comparing apples to apples asking that question.
To the OP: if you want bags, get bags. i got timbrens, they were cheaper, and take less than 30min to install, and dont affect ride height unloaded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.