Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Ride-Rite, what would you do other than cu$$

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  risco 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2003 F250 CC 4x4 FX4 that I installed a set of Ride Rite 2330 airlifts on in the fall of 2008. The truck had 115,000 on it then and had 160,000 when I found the problem. I highlighted the FX4 for a reason.

This is the truck:

This is the link to the installation instructions which I used to install the airlift system.
http://riderite.com/site-resources/ride-rite/installation/2330.pdf

Note Diagram "C" on page 3. Where it shows how to install for F250 FX4, also note that the directions were made/issued Aug. 2006.

That is how the system was installed and I never had any issues with it and usually ran a minimal 10-12 psi in it.

This is a photo I took when I was removing the system last winter - I was not only shocked I was pretty :eek:hnoes:

These are pics of the brackets after removed from the truck:

the destruction/breakage is obvious. You can tell that the holes used to mount the brackets are the ones used in the directions.

After calling the retailer and telling him what had happened he referred me to Firestone Tech/Warranty which I did and they responded with the following.

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:58:19 -0500
Subject: RE: Air Bag Supports

This happened because the kit was miss-installed; the lower bracket was set way to high and caused the brackets to bend. You can order new brackets from SD truck spring and there number is 877-774-6473. I will also send you a copy of the install guide so that you can see how the kit was installed incorrectly and the install guide will have all the part numbers for the new brackets.

Thank you

Tech/warranty

Because I don't know where he got this installation guide I took photos of it rather than a link, Note: bottom of page one to me appears this guide came out 07-11 where as my guide came out 8-06. Page 3 Figure "C" is what he is telling me was incorrect.

These are photos of the instructions he sent:

I installed them according to the directions I had laying in front of me when are the ones taken from the Ride-Rite website................

http://riderite.com/site-resources/ride-rite/installation/2330.pdf

I have resent this information to their Tech/Warranty with no response as yet.

What would you do if they hold their ground?

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you still by chance have that manual? If so, dig your heels in. You were only doing what they told you to. I am sure that they are aware of the woops in the old manual that you used, and revised it....probably due to other failures like yours! Stick with it, it was their mistake, not yours.

Meat

#4 ·
Tks guys, this is a pic of the instructions I used: (bottom left diagram)

#5 ·
Unfortunately you aren't the first person sending pictures in showing the same condition. I feel they need to correct their problem and offer an upgraded mount to all of you faithful consumers, if not they aren't the only game in town. Surely they will remedy this by new instructions and the parts needed.

#6 ·
Ask to speak to someone higher up. Try to talk with someone in upper management and explain to them what happened. A tech is just doing his job and will try to stop the issue at his desk without holding the company, the one that signs his checks, responsible. If all else fails your only other solution is to file a small claims lawsuit. Sometimes a threat letter from a lawyer works, sometimes it doesn't but don't let them get away with it which is what they are hoping you will do, kind of like an insurance company will do. You might call a lawyer and just ask them what your options are if the continue to decline your warranty issue.
Regards,

Dwight

#7 ·
no, its not right. but they have more money than you do. talking to a lawyer will cost you more time and money than the part is worth. ive been screwed lots of times, just learn to fight the battles you can win. imo, cut your losses and walk away.

bailey

#9 · (Edited)
I didn't say hire a lawyer. Most of them will help you determine if their services are what you need at no cost to you and note that wasn't the first option I recommended. A lawyer may be more alert to other options. My pockets aren't that deep and that's what I would do. I like to get things in writing and it may behove the OP to write a nice letter with his explanation of the details on it. He will more than likely get a nicely written response if he is cordial. If it does come down to a lawsuit and you are in the right most times you can recoupe the legal and court costs if you win suit. Some lawyers will take the case pro bono if they feel you can win the case and if you do your legal fees would usually be included in the reward provided by a judge. However, the amount of money we are talking here probably isn't worth a full blown law suit and I don't even think the courts would hear it. That's why I recommended a small claims court. It costs like $20 to file suit, you don't need an attorney, if the defendant doesn't show you are likely rewarded the monetary damages you seek as long as it pertains to costs of the suit and goods and if they do show you get to make your complaints in front of a judge who will probably side with you if you have your ducks in a row and you are in the right. It's actually fun and interesting as long as you win, lol. But if you lose, it sucks and you have to be willing to pay for the defendants fees which will likely be awarded by the court. Their lawyers may be more expensive. Just make 100% sure you are right and your case is black and white before persuing legal avenues.
Regards,

Dwight

#8 ·
I have the same airbags on my truck and can see that your bracket was set too high, it should have been set so that the lower bracket was just barely above the factory jounce tongue that is part of the block.

I don't know if I still have my original instructions, but I can see that the picture (fig. C) does have the typo (F-250 FX-4) which is not the same as an F-350!!!

But the instructions do state:
"Some trucks will have a cast iron jounce tongue as shown in
figure A. If this jounce tongue is present, the height setting of the lower
bracket will be just above the jounce tongue (to clear the head of the
bolt going up into the bottom of the air spring). If there is no jounce
tongue, simply assemble the lower and saddle brackets at the shortest
setting. See figure "C"."

So you are only supposed to use the info in fig. C if your truck doesn't have the jounce tongue.

I can see that the instructions are confusing because of the typo, but I don't think you are going to get anywhere with them by trying to push this issue very far because of the way their instructions are written. :(

#10 ·
I just took the time and read the directions and you don't have the jounce which would require you to install it on the lowest setting possible and even though Figure "C" clearly shows the second setting for a FX4, they do direct you to install it on the lowest setting possible. Kind of a conundrum. Could be kind of dicey if you pushed this too far. I would try to move your concern up the management ladder and get them to admit the the FX4 setting was wrong. You would expect that their installation diagrams to be 100% accurate for obvious reasons including your own safety because it is possible for anyone to get the installation wrong and what point is buying the product if there is a chance to install the product incorrectly by following their diagrams which result in failure of the product.
Regards,

Dwight

#11 ·
I just took the time and read the directions and you don't have the jounce which would require you to install it on the lowest setting possible and even though Figure "C" clearly shows the second setting for a FX4, they do direct you to install it on the lowest setting possible. Kind of a conundrum. Could be kind of dicey if you pushed this too far. I would try to move your concern up the management ladder and get them to admit the the FX4 setting was wrong. You would expect that their installation diagrams to be 100% accurate for obvious reasons including your own safety because it is possible for anyone to get the installation wrong and what point is buying the product if there is a chance to install the product incorrectly by following their diagrams which result in failure of the product.
Regards,

Dwight
In the picture of it still installed on the truck, you can see the jounce sticking strait out of the side of the block.
And it looks like the bag mount was set a couple inches higher than the jounce.

#13 ·
I definitely agree that they need to do some work on their instructions!!!

I do recall when I installed mine that it took awhile to figure things out, but I was installing them on my truck with a lift kit.

Here is a pic of how mine are installed now:

#14 ·
I had the EXACT same thing happen with my firestones, luckily mine didn't break, just bent them good, I took them off pounded my frustrations out on them, bolted them back in with bolts running straight thru, so they cant spread so easily and moved them down so they are right above the "jounce tongue" After I reread the instructions a few times I concluded they want the top bracket to be right on top of the factory "jounce tongue". Yes the directions suck. That is a shi*** situation, I hope they help you out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.