Need traction bars bad! Please help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Chapter Director
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gloucester, va
Posts: 1,206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need traction bars bad! Please help

Can anyone help me find a set of good traction bars or would anyone be willing or be able to make me a set. I have a horible case of axle wrap I had to recently replace my springs cause I broke them.

Some one please help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 05-30-2012, 04:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,556
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
matt @ ced makes weld on frame bars for roughly $450. or cal tracs will work. I'm not the guy to recommend pmf or ouo, why spend $700 more than you need to? Fabtech and procomp also, both a little less than pmf and ouo. If you don't mind welding on the frame I'd go with matt's all day. Cal tracs are bolt on. all jmo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 05-30-2012, 05:56 PM
Chapter Director
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gloucester, va
Posts: 1,206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Don't mind weld on at all. Not keen on the cal tracs I'd rather the bars go to the frame. Do you have a website for matt at ced? Our some kind of contact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 05-30-2012, 08:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 4,228
Thanks: 6
Thanked 38 Times in 37 Posts
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
If you google newton lifts, they sell traction bars to whatever rear block you want and heavy duty parts without a heavy price tag. Jason is the owner and does a great job taking care of his customers. They are also on eBay, I believe they are called fat boy traction bars f350
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 05-31-2012, 10:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 3,178
Thanks: 17
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by darsey715 View Post
matt @ ced makes weld on frame bars for roughly $450. or cal tracs will work. I'm not the guy to recommend pmf or ouo, why spend $700 more than you need to? Fabtech and procomp also, both a little less than pmf and ouo. If you don't mind welding on the frame I'd go with matt's all day. Cal tracs are bolt on. all jmo.
I spent more on One Up Offroad traction bars just so I don't have to buy any EVER again. I also purchased them because they work. Doesn't affect your ride, your suspension can still cycle, and the power gets transfered to the ground. Very simple design, high quality parts, and great customer service.

I have seen several procomp failures and a fabtech bar failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisH3 View Post
If you google newton lifts, they sell traction bars to whatever rear block you want and heavy duty parts without a heavy price tag. Jason is the owner and does a great job taking care of his customers. They are also on eBay, I believe they are called fat boy traction bars f350
This is all I have to say about those...




In all cases you get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-31-2012, 12:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 4,228
Thanks: 6
Thanked 38 Times in 37 Posts
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
the tractions bars were not the result of that, show me a truck with an AUTOMATIC tranny with newton bars and if you get the same picture i will be quiet. that guy has a stick and if you see the other guy commenting his are "smooth as silk". newtons bars are a heck of a bargain for a quality traction bar that mounts to the block and not just a cheap clamp on type without paying for the big name price and fancy bars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 05-31-2012, 12:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 3,178
Thanks: 17
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisH3 View Post
the tractions bars were not the result of that, show me a truck with an AUTOMATIC tranny with newton bars and if you get the same picture i will be quiet. that guy has a stick and if you see the other guy commenting his are "smooth as silk". newtons bars are a heck of a bargain for a quality traction bar that mounts to the block and not just a cheap clamp on type without paying for the big name price and fancy bars.
So you shouldn't put traction bars on a six speed? They just naturally hop like that?

He also had to weld on his frame mounts since the two bolts that were holding them on were loosening up all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 05-31-2012, 01:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 3,178
Thanks: 17
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This is what a six speed should do when hooked up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 05-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 4,228
Thanks: 6
Thanked 38 Times in 37 Posts
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
no where in there did i say traction bars shouldnt be on a six speed. obviously you have read the thread that picture is in and someone suggested it be a clutch related issue and i can believe that because my buddies truck did that hopping thing, kinda entertaining if you ask me.

the guy said he didnt mind welding them on, also they should be retorqued over so many miles like in his instructions, i would prolly put loctite on them also. im guess you just dont like the fact of an affordable traction bar? i wasnt trying argue with anyone here but sure if you want to pay 7-800 bux for traction bars plus 100 to ship then more power to you, i didnt know if he was on a budget or wanted the best out there . i wont be racing my truck and dont really mind the fancy look so i just need a functional bar that smoothes out my shifting. I wouldnt base my view on a set of bars that one person is having a problem with but thats just my two cents.

sweet vid btw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 05-31-2012, 01:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 3,178
Thanks: 17
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisH3 View Post
no where in there did i say traction bars shouldnt be on a six speed. obviously you have read the thread that picture is in and someone suggested it be a clutch related issue and i can believe that because my buddies truck did that hopping thing, kinda entertaining if you ask me.

the guy said he didnt mind welding them on, also they should be retorqued over so many miles like in his instructions, i would prolly put loctite on them also. im guess you just dont like the fact of an affordable traction bar? i wasnt trying argue with anyone here but sure if you want to pay 7-800 bux for traction bars plus 100 to ship then more power to you, i didnt know if he was on a budget or wanted the best out there . i wont be racing my truck and dont really mind the fancy look so i just need a functional bar that smoothes out my shifting. I wouldnt base my view on a set of bars that one person is having a problem with but thats just my two cents.

sweet vid btw
I am just saying if you buy a set of budget bars this is what you can have happen. You shouldn't have to weld the mounts to the frame. That is what happens when you only use (2) bolts. Things loosen up, holes wallow out, and just a little slop in the holes can result in only (1) bolt working for you. All he would have to do is add another hole and all of a sudden nobody is every going to have an issue. I would imagine that is one of the many reasons why my mounts each have (8) bolts holding them on my frame.

If the op wants to go offroad these bars would not be ideal. They are locking in the axle and limiting your suspension travel. You will notice a difference in ride if you install these bars.

Another reason I don't like these is just the mere size of the tubing and some of the hardware (ignoring the fact that they neck down to 3/4" at the ends???). When you build something that essentially may not have a weak link those forces have to go somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if you ran these bars for a several years you would find small cracks in your frame at the front mounts. Especially if you towed heavy and used your truck.

For some people these bars just may be the ticket. They don't care if it affects their ride or limits their suspension travel, or makes a lot of rattling/clunking noise when driving around.

With how much money these trucks cost and the kind of loads they see towing, I don't mind to spend a little more money on something that I know works for me. I never really went offroad when I was running OUO bars or had a chance to run down the drag strip. But I wanted to be able to do that if I ever wanted too...

Here is a buddy's truck:





Then here is the same bars on this truck....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors