Help! Delaware lift laws changed to screw everyone over. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help! Delaware lift laws changed to screw everyone over.

The old rules were... 30" bumper to ground, and 1" out of the wells for the tires.

They got smart, and changed the rule to include the distance from the top of the tire to the bottom of the wheel well above the tire (fender). There goes the idea of using stock tires to pass the inspection. The gap is too large, which means, your suspension is over stock, and you fail.

I have an '08 F350 with an 8" rize / OUO kit on 38x15.50's. With the 38's, I think I'm about 1" over the bumper height issue, and about 4-5" out on the width. Swapping back to stock tires, the height and width are all fine except this new "gap" rule for the wheel well opening.

Does anyone know anything about what is considered a "fender" and permanent on a vehicle? I need something to stop their tape measure short of the actual fender, and have it be considered part of the truck itself. Plastic cardboard paint-matched to the fender, and screwed into place? I dunno...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 02:41 PM

that sounds like a pretty screwey rule. maybe you can find some cheap fender flares and hang them on low with 2x sticky tape. If they measure in the center of the fender inside the wheel well, you could cut a piece of FRP and paint it black and attach it to the front and rear of the fender well and put some sort of spacing device in the center dropping it 4" or so. Id draw a picture by my pen isnt working on this screen...
Old 05-29-2012, 05:37 PM

I'm starting to think the DMV is unfairly enforcing rules that do not apply.....

This site is dated up-to-date as of May 21st, 2012, and this section says nothing about this 15" rule they are trying to enforce. Also, it appears that NONE of the rules in that section apply to my truck as it has a GVWR of OVER 10,000 lbs....

CHAPTER 43. EQUIPMENT AND CONSTRUCTION OF VEHICLES Subchapter I. Equipment Requirements

Bottom of page. Seems clear to me, on "Bumper, Frame Rail, and Body Heights." Unless they are unfairly trying to enforce that 8-15" mudflap law that applies to commercial vehicles only, and explained it very backwardly when I asked.

Last edited by ZeroOne; 05-29-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:25 PM

Yeah if youve got a GVWR of over 10k lbs take them their rules and point to the sticker on the door and see if theyre smart enough to figure it out. Hopefully they are for your sake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.