Retrofitting the Wide Track Front End onto my '07 F350 TowBoss - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 09:12 AM
The Silent Service

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Retrofitting the Wide Track Front End onto my '07 F350 TowBoss

I'm looking for a comprehensive parts list for converting my '07 F350 Dually to the "wide-track" option that was available with the '08-'10 F350 CCLB DRW trucks, and the same front end as the '11+ F450 Pickups. The old '05-'07 F350 TowBosses are basically the forerunners of these new F450 Pickups since Ford dropped the Axle ratings back from the C&C trucks as they were in '08-'10.

Note: I am not looking to increase my towing capacities with this modification, only decrease the turning radius and make the truck more maneuverable

Other than the obvious Axle itself (which if anyone has a part number on, that would be great), I'm looking for the list of components and available part numbers to get this project off the ground. I have 4.30 gears in the truck now, and looking to get an Idea what this may set me back to take 6 ft off the turning radius. From 56.5 ft curb to curb, down to 50.5 ft.

Background:
The '05-'07 TowBoss had the standard D60 front axle with 8x200mm pattern.
The '08-'10 F350 'Fatboys' and the '11+ F450 Pickups have the wider D60 that I am looking to put in. The knuckles are 45* vise the standard 35*, which allows for the tighter turning radius.
The '08-'10 F450 Pickups have the heavier axles and the 10 bolt pattern. Just like all the F450 and F550 C&C trucks.
The Front Axles Ratings and bolt pattern of the 'fatboy' F350's of '08-'10 and the '11+ F450 Pickups are all capped at around 6K depending on the spring package.
I've also looked at the steering box, both the F350 and F450 (pickup) have the same ratio in the steering box 20.41:1. (I believe this is the same ratio as my current setup, but I will verify) Which means I'll just need the pitman arm, and linkages out from that, not a new steering box itself.

Another thought, is it possible to piece this project together with the longer Axle Tubes and Shafts, and add the knuckles and linkages and power steering box of the 'fatboy', with the center pinion, gears, rotors, etc that I already have?

I've never done a job that was internal to the axle, so this is all new ground for me.

Any information, or direction to information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 09:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

fenders and flares are different
but I sure do like those
Old 05-26-2012, 10:58 AM
The Silent Service

I believe the fenders are the same, but there is a plastic fairing that bolts onto the fender and a second piece on the bumper. Once I get into the project, I know where I can get those pretty easily and I'll have them painted to match the cab. Wouldn't want to put all this work in, and then cut corners on the cosmetics. (Most likely I'll pick up another front rim, as I've gouged the one on the passenger side pretty bad.)
Old 05-26-2012, 11:35 AM

I think the fender has a larger opening and a larger flare myself

looks almost like a cutout flare you could add to ours via aftermarket
I like the option because if you lifted your truck you could get a decent sized tire in the front without clearance issues
Old 05-26-2012, 11:37 AM

for the 08 also search fat boy
PickupTruck.Com - Ford F-350 Fat Boy Widetrack Monobeam Front Suspension

Old 05-26-2012, 11:40 AM

bumper appears shorter at the wheel well also ,,, I guess it would have to be

I don't have squat for this option on the previous body style
Old 05-26-2012, 11:43 AM

Old 05-26-2012, 11:49 AM

option for ours and you trim /space the front bumper ,, but IDK if I like pocket flares?

Old 05-26-2012, 01:00 PM
The Silent Service

I'm trying to remain as close to stock looking as possible. I'll have to check the dimensions on the fairings for the F450 from my body style, and see what the size differences are.

A lift will not be getting installed on this truck at any time, due to towing constraints. So that aspect isn't a factor in this area of my build.

New(er) fenders off an F450/550 and bumper may have to get added to the list, but we'll see.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:06 PM

the 6.0 450 550 fender is definitely an Idea

the Long bed really kills you .. this is one of the best turning trucks I have driven (my CCSB )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.