How high with just springs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How high with just springs

Alright I've searched a bit both on here and Google and can't find the answers I'm looking for so I thought I would just ask you all.
First off I'm looking at a 2003 F350 crew cab long bed 7.3 6 spd single rear wheel 4x4

1. How high can I take the front with just leaf springs before other mods are needed ? (Drop pitman ect I do realize I will need New shocks though)

2. I am also planning to raise the back( level with the front) with leafs and get rid of the stock blocks ... Without trimming fenders could I fit 37-12.50-20s with this amount of lift or will I have to drop to 35s ? I don't mind spacing the bumper or trimming plastic just don't wish to hack my fenders ... And am I correct to assume I would need a 4.5" back spacing on a 9 or 10 inch wide 20 inch wheel to fit the 37s? As of right now the truck will see very little if any offroad mainly just want a better stance and look for now as I'm only home to drive it three days a month lol

Thanks in advance guys and I apologize if this has been asked a billion times lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I wouldn't go much more than 2" in the front without touching the trac bar at least. you could probably get away with 4" or so before worrying about the pitman arm. I have the skyjacker add-a-leaf leveling kit which i got about 2" in the front with and i noticed a difference in how the truck steered (sluggish) and drove, not that it is horrible but just different. I didn't drop the trac bar at all but had a hell of a time getting it lined back up.. So to answer your question, I woudl stick with 2", maybe 2.5"tops unless you want to start dropping the trac bar and pitman arm. I am just running stock tires (265/70) but i think you could fit 35"s with a leveling kit, there is alot of empty room in my wheel wells. my truck is also an 03 7.3 6sp 4x4
Old 05-21-2012, 06:15 PM

First of all IMO, I wouldn't go higher then a leveling kit without changing trac bar parts and pitman arm.

I had a 6" kit that retained the stock pitman arm and trac bar. It has terrible bumpsteer and wandered all over the place.

You will need atleast a 6" lift kit to clear 37s for daily driving. I have a 8" and when I'm flexing offroad I can still rub my fenders.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hmm I was really hoping I could go a little higher lol ... Might have to look into tracbar anf pitman arms hen thanks for the reply though
Old 05-22-2012, 06:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok so how how you feel I could go before driveshaft mods are needed? I figure the pitman arm and stuff can't be that expensive lol ...
Old 05-22-2012, 06:41 AM

Anything over 8" requires driveshaft modifying. Going higher than that will need crossover steering, and transfercase clocking when approaching 12".
Old 05-22-2012, 06:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the help guys .. seems this is going to be more trouble than its worth for just a temporary setup ... Think ill just ride stock height and tires and just start gathering the parts for the end goal of 14-16 inches of lift on 40-42s .... Again thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.