E99 wheel bearing and shocks - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E99 wheel bearing and shocks

Took my Early 1999 F350 in to the tire shop today, because I have been hearing a humming noise from the front driver's side. I had the same type of noise last year on the passenger so I figured it was the wheel bearing.

I also noticed that ofter a 100 mile drive yesterday my front tire tread is wearing really unevenly and smoothing out the tread on the inside and outside of the tires.

So I was told by the tire shop that I probably need a front driver's wheel bearing, and new shocks. Does that sound right?

Also how hard is it to install the wheel bearings at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 04:27 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like you are having cupping on your tires. Your shocks are probably blown. Pull the shocks off the truck and see how hard it is to compress them. If there is little to no resistance they are shot and need to be replaced.

For the bearings:
Jack that wheel off the ground. Put one hand at 2 o'clock and one at 8 o'clock. Push and pull and see if there is any movement. If there is, change your wheel bearings.

Hope this helps
Old 05-21-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cllake View Post
Sounds like you are having cupping on your tires. Your shocks are probably blown. Pull the shocks off the truck and see how hard it is to compress them. If there is little to no resistance they are shot and need to be replaced.

For the bearings:
Jack that wheel off the ground. Put one hand at 2 o'clock and one at 8 o'clock. Push and pull and see if there is any movement. If there is, change your wheel bearings.

Hope this helps
Just took the shocks off and they are pretty gone. I didnt know that blown shocks could make them cup like that.

I had the tire shop check the wheel bearing and it needs replaced, Do you know how to change them out?

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:40 PM

Kinda hard to see but it seems like every other tread is rubbing off.

new shocks ordered though
Old 05-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm having a similar problem. I have 255k miles on my rig with original wheel bearings but there is no movement when I test for slop. My shocks are shot and my drag link tie rods are sloppy. Replacing all of it tomorrow or maybe tonight after the race.
Regards,

Dwight
Old 05-27-2012, 08:06 PM

Well my shocks were gone big time. But Im still gettin the humm from the drivers side, and front end is tight so I have the bearing on order its supposed to be here tuesday and hopefully that will get rid of the noise.

And since I have a dually I have to get my tires swapped with the backs and will have to pay for the mount and balance, which Im not wanting to do.

I couldnt afford Bilsteins so I got a set of Monroe gas-Magnums. The install was kind of a pain, the little metal sleeves were a little long so I had to grind them down some, but the ride feels so much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneGuy View Post
Replacing all of it tomorrow or maybe tonight after the race.
I usually cheer for Harvick
Old 05-28-2012, 10:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I got Monroe's today too but they were called Reflex. Advanced valving or whatever. I finished replacing my drag link ends this morning and did shocks this afternoon and I still have slop. No noise from the front end like you but my tires howl so much I don't know if I could hear it if there were some whiny bearings. I replaced the bearings in my rear axels last summer while I was replacing my parking brake shoes and it was actaully pretty easy. I wonder if the fronts are as straight forward. Let me know how the work goes and how much you get dinged. The bearings themselves don't cost much but I'm sure it's a chore pulling all that linkage apart.
Regards,

Dwight
Old 05-29-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneGuy View Post
I got Monroe's today too but they were called Reflex. Advanced valving or whatever. I finished replacing my drag link ends this morning and did shocks this afternoon and I still have slop. No noise from the front end like you but my tires howl so much I don't know if I could hear it if there were some whiny bearings. I replaced the bearings in my rear axels last summer while I was replacing my parking brake shoes and it was actaully pretty easy. I wonder if the fronts are as straight forward. Let me know how the work goes and how much you get dinged. The bearings themselves don't cost much but I'm sure it's a chore pulling all that linkage apart.
I like the Monroes pretty well, especailly for the price!

Well I have an E99 and those stinkin bearings are $300 a peice! I wanted to upgrade to the newer style but I dont want to have to put new rotors and replace the bearing on the passenger side I replaced last year.

The bearing is going to be here tomorrow, and for the sake of time I might take it to the tire shop and have them put it on. Who knows Ill let you know how it goes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.