Icon or Carli 4.5" lift - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 06:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Icon or Carli 4.5" lift

I am planning on lifting my 2006 F-350 cclb 4.5" I have been looking at the Carli performance 2.0 kit and the Icon stage 1 kit. I do not go off road with the truck ever, Don't tow very frequently with the truck, I do put 2000 ish lbs in the bed about once a month. I am looking for the best quality ride I can get without spending a fortune. I am thinking either way I'm going to convert the rear leafs to 2011 rear springs using PMF 08+ spring hanger kit. My concern with the carli kit is that if the rear suspension has that much travel which I'm sure makes it great off road, how will that handle alot of weight in the bed? Will the rear of the truck sag alot with that much weight? I am also thinking of using PMF 4-link either way also. Has anybody riden in trucks with both suspensions? I had an Icon kit in my 03 and liked it but I've read alot of good things about Carli. Any and all input is appreciated. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 07:29 PM

If you are going to be using PMF stuff, just have him build you a 4.5" kit. He can build it using icon springs. The 7" he built for me rides as good if not better then my icon 4.5" i had, but i think some of that is the shocks and 3 link. Give trevor a call you be surprised what he can do for you!
Old 05-14-2012, 07:42 PM

There are alot of choices/options and deciding on one is not easy by any means. Good luck on your decision!
It took me over a year to decide on size/brand/"stage" and decided on PMF.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired1 View Post
If you are going to be using PMF stuff, just have him build you a 4.5" kit. He can build it using icon springs. The 7" he built for me rides as good if not better then my icon 4.5" i had, but i think some of that is the shocks and 3 link. Give trevor a call you be surprised what he can do for you!
I've heard nothing but good things about PMF and Trevor. While I Havnt heard anything bad about icons ride and was very happy with my last truck with an icon lift , I read carli has softer ride due to Thier spring rate and shock combo. They do use a spring pack in the rear which I think would make it ride harder then just the stock spring with a block. Maybe I'm just overthinking this.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mint-6oh View Post
...They (Carli) do use a spring pack in the rear which I think would make it ride harder then just the stock spring with a block. Maybe I'm just overthinking this.
Not necessarily. Just depends on what the spring rate of the pack is. Carli does very good with their spring rates and valving, so I would not be afraid to trust in their ride quality.

If there is anything we can assist you with, just let me know!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotStock View Post
Not necessarily. Just depends on what the spring rate of the pack is. Carli does very good with their spring rates and valving, so I would not be afraid to trust in their ride quality.

If there is anything we can assist you with, just let me know!
I agree,
The Carli mini pack replaces the extremely stiff overload leaf so you get a better ride than stock and gives you some lift without needed to run even taller block. I have also found that it helps decrease wheelhop a bit.

The production mini packs for the 05-07 leaf are still a few weeks away from being available. Another option would be the Carli full leafs for the 05-07 trucks. It gives you some lift, a huge ride improvement, eliminates the need to run the factory block, and the relocated center pin moves the axle to middle of the wheel well for better tire clearance.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:01 PM

I have the Carli backcountry 2.0 with the full rear springs on my 11 and the ride is fantastic. The rear springs do sag some when towing. But overall I am 100% satisfied with my kit.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 05-15-2012, 02:33 PM

Does it sag a lot with weight in the bed? Or just towing?
Old 05-15-2012, 03:22 PM

I'll be honest I haven't really hauled anything in the bed. Here's what I was towing. The samurais might be 5k total plus the trailer weight.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Attached Thumbnails
Icon or Carli 4.5" lift-imageuploadedbyautoguide1337124113.262376.jpg   Icon or Carli 4.5" lift-imageuploadedbyautoguide1337124148.918607.jpg  
Old 05-15-2012, 04:09 PM

Mint whats your price range. I'm not sure if swapping to late model springs would benefit you especially when you tow. I've added a leaf to my 11 to help with towing, the ride is firmer but I felt it was too soft from day one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.