The disappearing noise??!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The disappearing noise??!!

So I have been doing lots of reseach and looking on my truck and I am about to go crazy or just start replacing stuff if I can't diagnose what it is coming from. My 2000 f250 4x4 is making almost like a flapping noise but it sounds like metal on metal. It is coming from the front of the truck and it sounds like more passanger side. The weird thing is, it goes away for a few minutes then will come back make noise for a while, then disappear again.I have looked at everything on top and bottom nothing is flapping or loose. The only thing I could still suspect would be my drag link. The joint doesn't hold barley any grease and I can rotate it back and forth(not sure if normal or not). The noise is not terribly loud but now that it is there I am not even listening to music while driving, just listening for this stupid noise to come back. My wheel bearing, calipers, rotors and pads are all new and all of my ball joints seem fine. I just really dont know what could make noise and then just randomly stop. Sorry for the long post, just really been driving me crazy. Thanks for any input. Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 04:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

anyone ? Even a guess might be something I am overlooking.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would change the draglink being the condition it's in. Check Tie rod ends, sway bar links, & leaf spring bushings.

I've still got a slight noise in my 01 but I believe it is a ball joint.

Good Luck
Old 05-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Noise has gotten worse over the past few days, jacked it up and shook the tires again and now passanger side has some wobble in it. The driver side is still tight. I have very limited time this week and have to drive out of town this weekend. Would it hurt anything if only replaced the one side untill I had more time next week?
Old 05-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I was going to order ball joints until I had friends in my truck and noticed that it sounded more by the firewall. I was under the hood trying to think of anything else that it could be before I drop the coin on joints. I noticed that my intercooler pipe have some play in them and make a metal on metal noise. Just for giggles I wrapped some old wrags around where it was hitting, took it for a drive and didnt hear the noise. Has anyone ever had this happen or know how I can make it go away? Thanks, Josh
Old 05-16-2012, 04:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Drove to work today and noise is back, I am going crazy chasing this noise. I will post a video at lunch at what it sounds like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.