4" lift help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
4" lift help

a buddy of mine is giving me the front leaf springs he has laying around in his garage and the u bolts, now i know i should but new u bolts for it and i plan too.

right now my truck is stock height leveled with 5100 series bilstein shocks on it, part number for the front are f4-be5-6245-hs and the rear is f4-be5-6246-hs

my question is what else would i need to buy to run the leaf springs, by the way the truck is a 2003

ive done some searching around on here and so far this is what i came up with
-ill need something to lift the rear like blocks, but what size blocks i think its 3"?
-new u bolts for the front
-track bar drop bracket( what one tho?)
-sway bar brackets( again which ones?)
-am i able to use my shocks with the giving part no. i think i am but just double checking

any help would be great and thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 07:17 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ive done some searching around on here and so far this is what i came up with
-ill need something to lift the rear like blocks, but what size blocks i think its 3"? DO NOT STACK BLOCKS! Either get a 6" block or a 6" lift spring. My Pro-Comp springs were about $350 from Summit. It will sit a little high until they settle.
-new u bolts for the front Why can't you use the ones that came with the springs? They held the other truck together and they aren't torque to yeild. That's like saying I needed new U-bolts when I took my springs out for other maintenance.
-track bar drop bracket( what one tho?) Mine has a hole for 4 inches and one for 6 inches, I got it from Top Gun Customz
-sway bar brackets( again which ones?) Top Gun Customz
-am i able to use my shocks with the giving part no. i think i am but just double checking The shocks will be WAY too short

You're also going to need a dropped pitman arm for the lift.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Would be likely be cheaper and get you a better ride quality to just get a complete hanger kit the lift wanted..for the tire size you want to run. PM me if I can help.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Prolly a dumb question but why would my shocks be way to short when i search the part number the rears say for 2-4" lift and the fronts say 3-6". Am I just looking at the wrong thing or something. They camw on my truck when I bought it so Idk
Old 05-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Premium Member

Probably because I didn't take the time to research the shock specs before I keyboard commando'd my response. Oops.

But there is one way to tell and it really depends on how you off road, or if you off road: install the springs, while it is still supported by the frame, install the shocks. That will tell you if they are long enough, ie you should have to compress them a little to fit.

Something else, if I'm not mistaken, your sway bar brackets are in the frame rail pointing up. In my Top Gun Customz lift, you simply flipped them to the bottom of the frame pointing down. But that was 4 years ago, I could be wrong.

Last edited by Karls03; 05-01-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the help
Old 05-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

if i go with an adjustable track bar do i still need the track bar drop?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Premium Member

From what I have gathered the track bar and drag link need to be at the same angle for best results. A 4" lift is going to need a dropped pitman arm, therefore, an adjustable track bar is not going to be at the same angle. Further, the torque on the lower track bar bolt is around 400ft/lbs (on some years, not sure about yours), if you can't achieve that torque, it will be a clunkedy-clunk carnival ride. The drop trac bar bracket is not near as expensive, easier to install and will marry up the track bar to the drag link on a dropped pitman arm.

At 4" of lift, on a 99-04, I would (and did) go with the drop bracket.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

sounds good thanks again for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.