pro's an con's 6" vs 8' lift - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 04:41 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
pro's an con's 6" vs 8' lift

OK guy's I'm ready to put the lift on my truck. I have the money for it and the wheels, I just have a lot of questions. I have a 2006 F350 crew cab long bed so I have a big truck and it sits up pretty good already. My fear is that the truck is so long that if put a 6' lift I wont get the look of a good lift but I also heard that if I go 8' it's way harder on the front end parts.
Now that, that has been said I have looked at a lot of diffrent lift's and there are a lot of options out there. I want a quality lift without breaking the bank I'm not in it for a name brand to look cool. I am in it for quality. Now when it comes to the kit it's self there are SO many options I want to make sure I make the right shock choice and so on I need any input that I can get so I make the right choice the first tim. I was told to make sure I get the duel stearing shock kit for sure................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

what size tires are you gonna run?

i have an 05 with an 8" and 40's only run one stearing shock and never had front end problems cause it doesn't care, theirs really no parts that get that stressed

Last edited by 897.3alltheway!; 04-17-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i'm guessing you meant 8" not 8' right?
Old 04-18-2012, 04:31 AM

Well the tire size depends on the size of the lift 6" 37s 8" 40s so I have that worked out. I'm just not sure how wide of a rim to get either 10" wide or 12"wide I was thinking the 10" wide so I don't have to worry about tire rub.

and yes powerstroke driver2 I had a type-O It was post to be 8" not 8' lol
Old 04-19-2012, 04:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have had 8 and 38's for 9 yrs....same Skyjacker all spring lift and had ZERO issues. Changed out the ball joints about 3 yrs ago and just changed out a hub assembly, only maintenance i have had to do. I also don't beat the hell out of it. 75,000 miles on the lift.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:19 AM

OK I have made a choice on the lift. after calling the company and taliking to the guy there I ask him what I needed to change if I want to go from 6" to 8" after the first set of tires and its just the blocks and springs that have to be changes with the set up I have picked. I'm going with a 6" 4link set up with dual steering shocks and the dual front shock hoop kit. I'm going to get the XD HOSS wheels with Toyo mud 37s. I am also going to do the install with a couple of buddys on a sat at my work. Im going to make the order today and I will only be about 2 weeks from riding high
Old 04-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8GotNo View Post
OK I have made a choice on the lift. after calling the company and taliking to the guy there I ask him what I needed to change if I want to go from 6" to 8" after the first set of tires and its just the blocks and springs that have to be changes with the set up I have picked. I'm going with a 6" 4link set up with dual steering shocks and the dual front shock hoop kit. I'm going to get the XD HOSS wheels with Toyo mud 37s. I am also going to do the install with a couple of buddys on a sat at my work. Im going to make the order today and I will only be about 2 weeks from riding high
What brand did you end up going with?

Usually the difference between a 6 and 8 inch kit when done correctly are the following:

Spacers or taller coils in front
Taller block or add a leaf in the rear
Longer shocks all the way around
Longer sway bar end links
Adjustable track bar
Possibly need longer brakelines
Old 04-19-2012, 12:26 PM

I went with Rough Country I have a buddy that has one and it seams to be a pretty good set up.His set up is ok a 2011 F250 super duty. The guy a Rough Country said everything was adjustable he did say I would prolly need longer brakelines new blocks for the rear and coils for the front thats what he told me anyways. I guess I will see if he was blowing smoke up my a$$ or not if I decide to go to the 8" lift. If he was then it looks like I will be spending a little more to get it up where I want it if that's the case
Old 07-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Premium Member

Did you get this installed? I'm getting ready to do my 6" Rough Country 4 Link this weekend.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techtulsa View Post
Did you get this installed? I'm getting ready to do my 6" Rough Country 4 Link this weekend.

I installed it myself it was very simple to do I did have one question so I called Rough Country and they answered the questions and told me to call back if I had any more questions. I did it with only myself and one buddy on a shop floor with jack stands and floor jacks it took us 15 hours with us both working full days an then after work, working on the truck. Expect a few hiccups as with anything you do like this there were a few all on the trucks/Fords end. As far as the lift kit everything was there. Two extra set of hands would of been sweet but Three extra sets of hands would of been the ticket. good luck hope it turns out good for ya .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.