Anybody Torque steer? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anybody Torque steer?

Has anyone noticed their truck steering change depending on throttle position?
I have a 2012 F-350 6.7 bought it new 2 weeks ago. I noticed on medium acceleration above 45 mph holding the wheel straight, then chop throttle, my truck pulls right.

I notice on acceleration I am compensating by slowly and minimally turning the wheel right to keep the truck straight. Coasting the truck wheel is straight and the truck goes straight.

As I go up a hill or incline I am constantly adjusting the wheel as the power is coming off and on. I thought the truck was wandering but I think the rear axel is twisting somehow!

Anyone else notice this?? After I told my buddy who has the same truck he agreed, his truck does the similar thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Pick mine up last week and it does the same thing.At 50-60mph cruising speed give it 3/4 (or less)throttle and it will change lanes to the left crossing the crown of the road.Let of the throttle at cruising speed and it will go right.It also wanders around but I think that is due to sub standard shocks.I have been in the automobile business 37 years and I have seen alot of things but this is a new one.Mine has 20 in wheels so no sway bar in the rear.I just ordered the Hellwig big wig sway bar and will install next week
.My guess is there is so much torque
that the frame is flexing or the rear diff is shifting.Sway bar should help......But either way someone at Ford R&D F***ed up.

It worked on paper but not in the real world
I love the truck just a minor glitch .....oh well
Old 04-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

torque steer

Let me know if that works. It is a tall truck and it does take corners as if the front and rear are both turning.
I think it may need a road master kit, or ladder bars. It may be due to the ride height and having the axel under the spring. If you put a monster lift in the old Blazer it needed the ladder bar setup. I don't know if ladder bar is the correct term, but that was to correct the axel from swinging front to back.

It does have torque.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Pick mine up last week and it does the same thing.At 50-60mph cruising speed give it 3/4 (or less)throttle and it will change lanes to the left crossing the crown of the road.Let of the throttle at cruising speed and it will go right.
Just picked mine up yesterday and drove into phoenix. Between 45-65 cracking the throttle gives me a drift to the left and back to the right on deceleration. At first I thought I had a rear axle shifting (I.E.) dogtracking but all seems to be tight. I have been wondering if the torque is causing a geometric change in the alignment causing the temporary drift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.