Ocotillo Wells - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ocotillo Wells

I have to give another to Carli. I went to Ocotillo Wells again this past weekend. First off I have to point out that the 08+ Full Leaf packs are able to handle the load of my 5th wheel with the help of my Firestone airbags and the spacers Sage made for me. My lower bag bracket bolts around the leaf pack at the axle. The upper bracket is mounted on the outside of the frame.

When I got there I unbolted the bags and aired my tires down(50F/45R). I could have went lower but didn't feel the need. I ended up being the leader of a caravan of trucks, rhino's, quads and bikes through the desert to show friends/family around. We camped on the north side(SR22) and took Crossover Trail to the other side. I put my 3yr old in his carseat and put a movie on(headrest TV's are perfect for little ones). Trail goes from open desert with whoops to narrow canyons and hill climbs to sand and washes. I had a blast hauling a$$ through the wider washes. At one point I hit a small drop off before I had time to slow down or avoid it. The front bottomed out but not bad enough to stop and look for damage. Would have like to have the secondary bypasses at that time. We went all the way to the south side close to HWY78. Stopped at a few places on the way.

Spent most of our play time at Devil's Slide. Everybody just kinda sat back as some of us played around in the sand. Best part is my 3yr old fell asleep during the bumpiest part of playing. This part I actually bounced around all over my seat(no seatbelt). Hit whoops that I did not see coming. I look back to see my son kinda wake up, looked around and fall back asleep.

He kept sleeping as I continued to play around in the sand. He slept till we made our 10+ mile trek back to our camp. He wasn't bothered by any of it. I wish I would have set my GoPro up in the truck fixed on him while we drove. I didn't get any good video footage as noone wanted to be behind the camera but here are a few more still shots.

As I have said before. I don't use my truck for bashing in the desert but with this setup I find myself pushing it more and more. My wife loves the fact that I took her on the ride as I usually just ride my dirtbike. Also the days were in the 80's so it was nice in the A/C. I even vonunteer to go to the store so I can take the washes and dirt roads to it or purposely try to meet some of our group at the highway to lead them in even though they know where we are camped.

Thanks Carli

Last edited by new2deisel; 03-28-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 05:56 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Looks like fun, man! I LOVE riding, although I've never been to Ocotillo. I must have missed your other thread about your setup, but looks like a 4 link and are you at 4.5" of lift? I've been thinking about going to the 08 rear leaf setup since everyone says it rides smoother.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking

My truck has seen a couple different transformations. I told my wife when we bought it that I wouldn't do anything to it. It started with a 4.5" Donahoe lift in front and 5" rear block. I decided to go a little higher so I added a 2" BDS spacer below the spring. When I did that I had to add a 7-9" DR box kit with pitman arm, trac bar drop and end links. Sometime during that I added DR 4-link. That was the same time DR was going through its issues so I got a good deal on them. I've always liked coilovers but DR was the only one who had them for our truck and they were only for 7-9". One day driving down the freeway I noticed a Ford that had Carli's Coilovers. They were still in testing stage when I found Carli's#. I probably annoyed them calling all the time trying to get the kit. I was content with the Carli Coilovers, been on the truck since 08. They are adjusted around 5" of lift. I left the drop pitman arm/drop trac bar on. I had to cut some of the threads of the DR adjustable trac bar to center the wheels under the truck though.
I had 08 rear springs sitting in my garage for a couple of years befor I decided to move stock spring hangers forward. I had heard that it was doable but had never seen it done. That and I remember how much of a pain it was drilling out the rivets to the stock coil buckets to replace with Coilover buckets.
After installing the stock 08 springs I noticed a difference right off but wondered how the Carli mini pack would do. At that time I went with Carli/King rear shocks too. This was done March 2011. When I picked up the add a pack Sage said he had. Been working on some new valving and was generous enough to revalve my front Coilovers.
Again happy with my setup but my buddy had full leafs from Carli on his Dodge and you could feel the difference so I went for it. The ride empty is amazing on/offroad road. My buddy with the dodge is jealous mine rides better than his. I was sceptical at first worried about holding the weight of my trailer but realized I can still use my airbags after Sage made me some spacers for them. This was my first trip out with them and I took it a little slower on my way out but the setup worked great.
Bet you weren't looking for the long response

Sent from iPhone
Old 03-30-2012, 07:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Awesome picures and nice setup!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.