Body roll - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Body roll

Got my new lift put on its 13 inches. Now I'm experiencing a lot of body roll when turning the wheel. No matter if I'm sitting still or moving. I'm probably gonna order a upgraded sway bar but I'm also thinking it May be because I need a longer pitman arm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
so your sitting still, and when you turn the wheel it actually makes the truck lean from side to side? Did your new lift give you longer tract bar, and pitman arm? And did it come with crossover steering? If not id install crossover steering and see if that fix's the problem, and id install the proper drop brackets. With that much lift your gona need the proper equipment to be safe and stable, when done right your truck will drive as if it were stock still
Old 03-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdutyscaler View Post
so your sitting still, and when you turn the wheel it actually makes the truck lean from side to side? Did your new lift give you longer tract bar, and pitman arm? And did it come with crossover steering? If not id install crossover steering and see if that fix's the problem, and id install the proper drop brackets. With that much lift your gona need the proper equipment to be safe and stable, when done right your truck will drive as if it were stock still
Yes the force of the pitman arm on the knuckle will make the body sway/lift up. but instead of spending 8-10,000.00 on a 12 inch i've put it together my self. so far i've got less than 2500.00 in it and everything is great other than the sway/roll. It started off as a 8" pro comp. bought some +10" coils, a 2.5" spacer, a tgc 12" 4 link, +8" sway bar links (and still using the sway bar drop bracket from pro comp) and i have a custom made adjustable trac bar that mounts on top of the axle. still using the pitman arm that came with the 8" for now. but from what i have discovered is that they don't make a pitman arm with more of a drop than the one i have. and i'm not paying 2650.00 for the 12" rize steering setup. this is about the 6th truck i've done this way never been on a f250 all the others were dodge 2500 never had this problem with them put them through hell and they worked great.. made a few phone calls today and learned that no one makes them for an 05-07 because it pretty much has one from the factory that was my first idea on how to solve this problem but i believe a drop sway bar will solve my issue have a guy building me one now with some 1.5" .250 wall tubing and some heim joints.. i made some adjustments to the rear sway bar and mounted it on top of the axle and it resolved most of the roll other than when turning the wheel. probably gonna upgrade the factory sway bar on the front becaust its tiny. the two pictures that are attatched are what i'm doing to solve the steering issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Body roll-129_0910_06_z-1999_ford_f350_super_duty-lift_springs-1-.jpg   Body roll-129_0910_01_z-1999_ford_f350_super_duty-side_view-1-.jpg  

Last edited by JD_MILLS; 03-26-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

How about posting some pictures of your steering setup?

On my old setup, granted this is with leaf springs. I didn't even have the rear sway bar on the truck. The sway bar isn't your issue, it has to be part of your steering geometry. Probably adjusting your castor or relocating your track rod... I sure wouldn't get a drag link that is bent like the picture you posted. That just looks messed up.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

your problem is the steering system itself, that much lift NEEDS the proper cross over steering, drop brackets for the pitman and tract bar. Change that and youll be fine
Old 03-27-2012, 01:52 PM
lifetime member

If the truck in the pic at the bottom of the o p's post is the one with the problem, that is not a 13" lift kit.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsrchofpwr View Post
If the truck in the pic at the bottom of the o p's post is the one with the problem, that is not a 13" lift kit.
Naw that was an 8" kit. with 39.5 iroks. i had it aligned today. and it's all within the factory specs. but moving thre rear sway bar up getting it back paralell with the road made a difference when turning. it was at such an angle before it was doing no good. but the attatched pic shows how rize does there steering on the 05-07. because there is no high steer or cross over steering available for this year model truck. and as you see in the pic they're using the factory steering knuckle but simply dropping the drag link further away from the pitman arm.
Attached Thumbnails
Body roll-nathanf350_steering_01-1-.jpg  

Last edited by JD_MILLS; 03-27-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsrchofpwr View Post
No that picture is about 6 months old. but here's one from a few min ago after the 12.5" lift. not the best in the world but its dark. the girl in the pic is 5'7" truck stands 71 inches to the bottom of the window now.
Attached Thumbnails
Body roll-1332901316621.jpg  
Old 03-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Get your sway bar installed and see how it goes. I still think you have a steering issue. I don't even have sway bars on my truck at all and no body roll when I steer when sitting. Don't cheap out on the steering, those pitman arms are known to fail.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by layson View Post
Get your sway bar installed and see how it goes. I still think you have a steering issue. I don't even have sway bars on my truck at all and no body roll when I steer when sitting. Don't cheap out on the steering, those pitman arms are known to fail.
well the reason i posted here is i thought some one with a little more knowledge would help me out. i've searched for hours trying to find either a high steer kit or cross over kit but everyone i've talked to says the 05-07 sd pretty much has a cross over steering knuckle from the factory. talked to cary yesterday and he said this year model truck has a sway bar thats way to small. but it worked good before so i believe the drag link has more of a verticle force because of the steep angle its at. instead of the lateral force it should have. which is why the body raises while turning when sitting still. so my two options are a longer drop on the pitman arm or finding a way to make it mount higher up on the knuckle. what'd you think would be the best resolution? i've talked to several ppl with some big lifts on trucks and from my own experience and we have come to the conclusion that the drop drag link is the most logical solution.

Last edited by JD_MILLS; 03-27-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.