leaf vs coil springs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 01:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
leaf vs coil springs

I have a 2002 F-350 4x4 with the leaf spring front suspension. I'm very interested in converting to the coil spring front suspension that the 05-07 year Super Duty trucks have. However, I'm hesitant to do the conversion because I've read that the coil spring suspensions are prone to "Death Wobble" whereas the leaf spring suspensions are not. Can someone explain why this is so?
Thanks,
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Death wobble does happen on a coil sprung truck, but there is normally a reason for it. The route your going putting brand new oe parts on or good aftermarket parts like a track bar and steering stabilizer in conjunction with a good alignment typically wont see any symptoms.

If you do lift it make sure all the above things I mentioned are addressed as well as using E load rating tires. Having a soft compoound tire gives alot of oscillation through the tie rods making the steering wheel become shakey..

othing wrong with what your doing...Radius arm truck with a 7.3? Killer!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:50 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbron View Post
I have a 2002 F-350 4x4 with the leaf spring front suspension. I'm very interested in converting to the coil spring front suspension that the 05-07 year Super Duty trucks have. However, I'm hesitant to do the conversion because I've read that the coil spring suspensions are prone to "Death Wobble" whereas the leaf spring suspensions are not. Can someone explain why this is so?
Thanks,
Ron
As long as your joints on your track bar are good and truck is properly alligned you shouldn't have a problem. when i first put a 8" lift on my truck i had a slight wobble. replaced the ball joint and it fixed it went up to 10" and i took off the factory ball joint replaced it with a heim joint and fabbed up a new mount on top of the axle instead of bottom. it has worked great. dual steering stabilizers is also a good idea if you plan on running big tire.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapt In View Post
othing wrong with what your doing...Radius arm truck with a 7.3? Killer!
i got a radius arm truck with a 7.3!!!!!

anyway, if you do go to coils..... you want to get as much castor as possiable with either 5* castor shims or an adjustable 4 link kit, or a 3 link kit\

also must get the track bar and draglink parallel so that the raduis' arnt different causing bump steer and causing over correction and death wobble!!and having agood alignment, good tires, and keeping up maintance on all your joints.

if you do it remember that the backspacing is differnt on 99-04 axles and 05-07 and 08-now axles. if you run an 05-07 axle up front you will need 2 inch spacers in the rear to match the offset. or run aftermarket wheels with different backspacing
Old 03-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
The Best ride possible is using a 4 link radius arm kit in lieu of the stock radius arms..as they bind. 4 link arms also allow additional castor to be added ..lack of Castor on the '05 up trucks is the main cause of wobble complaints.

We have helped many install '05 up axles and suspension in OBS, Excursions and 99-04's..we have everything needed.

Cary
Old 03-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Appreciate the responses, they really help. I figure a coil spring suspension is in my future.
Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.