tire size with a level kit? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 06:46 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tire size with a level kit?

Okwell I need new tires for my truck and I was wanting to go with a bigger tire with a more aggressive tread pattern. I was thinking about Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's, I have heard good things about them, and a few guys on here run them and seem to love them.

Right now I have stock tires and rims (tire size 265 70/17), I would like to just keep the factory rims. How big of a tire could I run with a 2 1/2 leveling kit and how big without? I think I read 35's with the level kit but I just don't want any rubbing issues, and doing a huge lift really isn't my bag.

Any help would be great, as well as any pics of your truck related to this post!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

315/70/17
35x12.50x17
Old 01-24-2012, 06:22 AM

Not to sure about the newer body styles, but with my old 2000 I had 315/75/16 on a stock 16 wheel with a 2 1/2 leveling kit. Only rubbing issue I had was at full lock and that was on the leaf springs.
The Duratrac was a great tire. I loved it, went great in the Sand, Mud and Snow. Never had any issues with them and the road noise was very minimal. I rotated them every 5-7k miles and the wear was really good. Tires had 15K on them when I got rid of the truck and there was at least 70% left on the tires. I Drove everything from Mountain winding roads to flat highways, 700 miles round trip, with 2 ATV's in the bed and a 14' camper behind it and had no issues.

Check my Gallery for Pics

Last edited by MuddyATV24; 01-24-2012 at 06:54 AM. Reason: pics info
Old 01-24-2012, 07:17 AM

Got it figured out how to post the pictures, here you go.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:25 AM

hey thanks for the reply. Yeah that looks pretty good on there, thats about the look I am going for. Anyone have 05+ with 35's? rubbing issues?
Old 01-26-2012, 07:51 AM

bump. Anyone?
Old 01-26-2012, 08:20 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I have a 2005 f250 with a leveling kit in the front sitting on 35's...
It rubs a TINY bit at full turn. Pulling back the plastic by the mudflaps will fix this issue.

also my wheels have a different offset then factory. My tires stick out past the fenders some.
If you keep factory wheels or new wheels with the same offset it will not rub.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:29 AM

^your truck looks saweeet! WHat level kit do you have and is there any difference in ride quality?
Old 01-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Premium Member

Staley86, check out Six0~Stroker's front bumper, specifically the gold trim on the wheel opening to bumper trailing edge alignment. Somewhere along the line that bumper has been pushed forward. I did the same to my 03 and it made A LOT of difference. It's very simple, two 1.5"~2" spacers (1.5 square tube installed across both bolt holes would work) drilled to the spacing of the floating anchor nuts that the existing bumper mounts secure to, four longer bolts, a friend to help remount/align the bumper. Because I have the spacers, bumper, and pre runner bar, we're going to tack the anchor nuts to the frame and weld the spacers to the bumper. It's a juggling act to put it all together!

The only down side is that those triangular brackets from the frame outboard supporting the outer bumper will no longer fit. Not that big of a deal.

Wheel size and offset are mucho importanto here. Skinny wheels can make the tires ride on the center tread above about 40 psi, shallow back spacing will push the wheels farther out.

I have a 6" lift and 35s on 16x10 Eagle Alloys, if I have them turned just right while compressing the suspension (pulling into a parking lot for example) I can rub my body. Bottomline, they're going to rub, you just have to figure out where/when you want them to.

Last edited by Karls03; 01-27-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:42 AM

hey great info. Yeah, I just need to figure out what size tire I should get width wise. I am thinking 315/70/17 as long as they fit on the stock rim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.