Need Help!!! Leveling Kit Installation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Help!!! Leveling Kit Installation

Just got this leveling kit for my truck:

Amazon Amazon

I've heard it's not too hard to tackle on your own, but I've never really messed with suspension and don't really know where to start. Any installation advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 12:22 PM

all you really need is a set of jackstands and a floor jack with an impact.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

When assembling the springpack, getting the holes lined up well enough to get the center pin through may take you a while.

Breaking the track bar bolts loose wont be easy either. They are on there with about 400 ft-lbs.

The rest of it is time consuming but pretty simple.

Last edited by Brian 444; 01-09-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian 444 View Post
When assembling the springpack, getting the holes lined up well enough to get the center pin through may take you a while.

Breaking the track bar bolts loose wont be easy either. They are on there with about 400 ft-lbs.

The rest of it is time consuming but pretty simple.
Having had my front end apart a few times, the track bar does not need to come off to remove the leaf spring pack. I used a very large table vise and a friend to reassemble my front spring packs. The front bumper MUST come off to get the front leaf spring bolts. It's not hard.
If you don't have a lift you will need 4 jack stands, 2 for the frame, 2 on the axle. Do one side at a time or the axle will rotate towards the pinion making re-assembly a pain.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:25 PM

i also recommend to spray all bolts and nuts a couple of times days before install will make it much easier.

i used PB Blaster
Old 01-11-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karls03 View Post
Having had my front end apart a few times, the track bar does not need to come off to remove the leaf spring pack. I used a very large table vise and a friend to reassemble my front spring packs. The front bumper MUST come off to get the front leaf spring bolts. It's not hard.
If you don't have a lift you will need 4 jack stands, 2 for the frame, 2 on the axle. Do one side at a time or the axle will rotate towards the pinion making re-assembly a pain.
Having had my front end apart several times, the leaf packs do not need to be removed from the truck to add the new mini-pack. If the springs aren't removed, the bumper won't have to be, either.

The track bar may not absolutely have to be removed for front end work, but it will be easier to mate the springs back to the axle if it is....especially if an adjustable length bar is not being added to replace the original (which will now be too short).
Old 01-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTEAL256 View Post
Just got this leveling kit for my truck:

http://www.amazon.com/Ford-Leveling-...6087991&sr=8-1

I've heard it's not too hard to tackle on your own, but I've never really messed with suspension and don't really know where to start. Any installation advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Regrdless of what method you use, clamp those springs before loosening the center bolt. These are springs, and they are under tension, be careful! A big c-clamp will work if you're doing it on the truck.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:32 PM

I have looked at the same kit of my 03,but it is my understanding you will need to buy and adjustable trac bar or get a kit with a trac bar drop bracket.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirtgun View Post
I have looked at the same kit of my 03,but it is my understanding you will need to buy and adjustable trac bar or get a kit with a trac bar drop bracket.
You don't need a drop bracket/adjustable trac bar with a leveling kit. Get up to a 4" lift or more, yes, dropped steering arm too. When I did the leveling kit thing, I even reused my OEM shocks.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:47 AM

Any time you alter the front end height, you really should adjust the position or the length of the track bar.

Less lift just means you need less adjustment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.