How to: '05-07 track bar flip with pics - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 05:26 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to: '05-07 track bar flip with pics

After reading a few other threads, many which wander way off topic to talk about tires, shocks, older frame styles, llamas, wobble etc, I figure I can give back to the org and do a write up on flipping the track bar.

I have a 2006 f250 with a 6" superlift that also has a 2" leveling kit. I have driven the truck like this for 65,000, about 50,000 of it is with the superlift 8" superduty kit55-12-9026 radius arm bracket kit.

The ride was decent, but always kept me alert. I wish I would have discovered this a while ago as I am amazed at the difference in how my truck drives. It feels like it did when I paid $40k for it sitting on a simple 6" kit with 18,000 miles 5 years ago!

I read somewhere that with 8" & up one can flip their track bar to correct angles and eliminate bump steer. For no cost, I got out my tools and spentless than 2 hours doing this.

Tools-
Wrenches, socket set, big breaker bar, pitman arm tool, harbor freight 3 in 1 balljoint tool.
Time 1-2 hours
Skill level - medium, easy if you are familiar with a ball joint press.

Pictures tell the story.
Original angle

After nut removed

I read that I should cut the bolt down on the ball joint, so I did. I also disconnected at the upper mount after I couldn't pop the track bar loose. In my experience, I have gotten wiser and don't pound and bang if not necessary. My pitman arm removal tool was perfect for this. This pic is looking up at the bottom of the ball joint.

The ball joint was still to large for my press, but this is how it should stack Up to press it out.

I had to improvise, luckily I already used the pitman arm tool and had it laying out. It was the right size to start pressing out the ball joint.

I don't see any more decent photos but install was pretty straight forward without suprise.

I installed the frame side first the even though the track bar bends the opposite way, it still bolted up Rather easy after sawing the steering wheel a couple times.

One major bonus I wish I knew years ago, the superlift track bar bracket has a piece that can be switched to push the track bar to the passenger side as well. I just may have to replace my 6" coil with an 8" coil or maybe a 10 and eliminate the spacers.

So before and after, you can see much improvement and the ride is amazing. No bump steer like before, I was driving with 1 finger on the wheel

Last edited by Dan Lee; 01-08-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 06:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

may have to try this. ever since i went from 7" to 8" lift steering seems to be a little more challenging. a free fix would be great. thanks
Old 01-22-2012, 11:38 AM

I got the three inch RC kit and my trac bar and steering have the same angles. Should I do this ?
Old 01-22-2012, 08:44 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
So did you have to use a different ball joint or did you just flip the stock one? Happen to have a close up pic of the axle side of the track bar now???
Old 01-23-2012, 06:35 AM

I have a 4 inch on mine and the paas. side coil is almost touching the frame and looks like some times it does. would this be a fix for this ?
Old 01-23-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKEETERMAN03 View Post
I have a 4 inch on mine and the paas. side coil is almost touching the frame and looks like some times it does. would this be a fix for this ?
Sounds like you just need an adjustable trac bar to recenter your axle.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:18 AM

Im putting a bigger drop bracket on my 08 this week to get the bars parralel and plan on using a digital level to make sure.. From your before pic the bars looked parralel and u still had bump steer??? I havent found anyone trying this mod on the 08+ years and have talked to 2 guys that say the ball joint hole is too tapered so it wont stay in place or go in upside down at all. :-/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.