OEM ride height - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 06:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OEM ride height

Ok, I have 2007 F-350 single rear wheel and four wheel drive. I have a ready lift level kit in the front for about 2 years now. When I installed it, the truck sat level. Now it seems to sit lower in the rear. The overload helper springs are almost touching the mounts with the truck empty. My question is, if I take the level kit out, do you think it would correct it? Or I could replace the springs, or I could add a leaf, or I could replace them with a spring pack with a larger carrying capacity. Any thoughts are appreciated. I'd like the truck to sit level or maybe just slightly higher in back. I'm not after a lift
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 07:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did your kit come with anything for the rear?

Every superduty that I have installed a leveling kit on (4x4 not 2x4) ended up being slightly higher in the front. The F-350's arent as bad. I think the cheapest route would be to replace your factory block w/ a aftermarket 4" w/ new u-bolts.

Or you could do a add-a-leaf or even better a mini spring pack that replaces your overload spring.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The blocks that are in my truck now look like they are 3.5" tall. I don't think a 4" block would be enough to correct the problem
Old 12-30-2011, 08:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

And no, the ready lift kit for the front didnt come with anything for the rear.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:49 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancox51 View Post
The blocks that are in my truck now look like they are 3.5" tall. I don't think a 4" block would be enough to correct the problem
F350s are usually dead level with a 2.5" front leveling kit. F250s are nose high since they come with a shorter rear block from the factory.

The problem at hand is that your main rear springs have fatigued and sagged - a common problem with Ford springs (leafs and coils). Hence why your overloads are almost touching the frame stops when empty.

An Add-a-leaf will bring the rear back up, but will also stiffen the ride when empty. Air bags would also bring the rear back up (and increase load handling in the rear) but would also increase the stiffness of the empty ride. A larger rear block would fix the "levelness" but doesn't really solve the problem - and it increases the potential for axle wrap.

The only true answer is new leaf packs - preferably aftermarket so that you don't have to repeat the process in the future.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks. Thats kind of what I was thinking. That there must be a problem that caused the springs to sag. I priced a local company for new spring packs. They seemed reasonable. Do you have any suggestions of places to order or an aftermarket brand to look for? You say to try to stay away from putting Ford springs back in?
Old 12-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancox51 View Post
Thanks. Thats kind of what I was thinking. That there must be a problem that caused the springs to sag. I priced a local company for new spring packs. They seemed reasonable. Do you have any suggestions of places to order or an aftermarket brand to look for? You say to try to stay away from putting Ford springs back in?
Ford springs are notorious for sagging. If you buy replacement Ford springs you will be doing this job again in the future. For those still under warranty, there's a Ford TSB out that essentially says if the sag is less than 2" on a given leaf spring, to insert shims between the spring and spacer block to restore the ride hight to level. Only if over 2" of sag do you get a new spring.

There are a number of leaf spring companies that offer Super Duty springs - both in OEM rating, and in heavy duty (increased spring rate) version. Try Husky Spring, SD Truck Springs, Stengel Bros. You will find the aftermarket spring prices to be comparable to OEM.

Good Luck
Old 01-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

After looking online for a bit, General Spring in Kansas City seems to be cheapest. Anybody have any experience with them or any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.