Installed my TGC 2.5" level kit on m '05 F350 today... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Installed my TGC 2.5" level kit on m '05 F350 today...

I purchase a 2.5" level kit from Top Gun Customz last week and got around to installing it today. This is the style that goes on top of the spring. I had searched for tips on installing the kit and found some info, but there still were some issues that I came across.

First off, I found that I really need both a taller/HD floor jack and some larger/taller jack stands.

I started by getting the truck supported on the frame and then supporting the axle on either end with two small floor jacks. I then removed the swaybar bushings and endlinks - I removed the bushings/clamps just to get the bar out of the way for easier access to the top track bar bolt. That top track bar bolt BTW, is a 30mm (or at least that's what I used).

Next, I disconnected the shocks at the bottom bolts; I will remove the top nuts next time instead.

I loosened the brackets on the brake lines and let everything hang.

The springs themselves basically fell out. To get the spacer in, I did have to compress the spring about 1/2" - I had the axle dropped until it wouldn't drop anymore and still couldn't get it w/o a compressor.

Reassembly went easy; The only two snags were the upper track bar mount and the sway bar alignment.

The track bar was a bit of a pain to realign - I was finally able to get it, but it took a few minutes.

The sway bar really gave me a fit. You can clearly tell that there are other areas that absolutely need attention/consideration when you install a simple level kit. Sway bars are one of 'em. Because the track bar had already slid the axle about 5/8" to the driver's side, the sway bar didn't want to align left to right - Second, because the axle was now lower, the sway bar didn't want to sit straight. The vertical endlinks are now tilted a little forward.

The truck is at the alignment shop now - I'll have it back in about an hour. On the drive to the alignment shop, everything felt normal and tight.

I just figured I'd include a little bit more info on this than I found by searching. Start to finish the job took about 2.5 hours and that included figuring out how I was going to lift and support it and running to the parts store to rent a spring compressor.

Last edited by Dante04SRT; 12-10-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 01:36 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nice writeup with pics . My truck is a 02 2x4 but man does the front sag bad, it looks horrible with the rear all up in the air, maybe i need to look at a leveling kit myself.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Looks good, can't wait to level mine out. I just can't decide what I want to do with it...level (1.5, 2.0 or 2.5)...maybe a 3 or 4 inch lift....I go back and forth all the time.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:45 PM

Well, after having the truck like this for a few days now, I LOVE the look but the truck is making a popping noise somewhere in the front.

I'm not sure where it's coming from, but I'm 100% certain it's something due to the change in front end geometry from the kit. I'm beginning to think that the Ready-Lift level kit was probably a better route (ie, included a lot of extras to help keep things correct).
Old 12-15-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante04SRT View Post
Well, after having the truck like this for a few days now, I LOVE the look but the truck is making a popping noise somewhere in the front.

I'm not sure where it's coming from, but I'm 100% certain it's something due to the change in front end geometry from the kit. I'm beginning to think that the Ready-Lift level kit was probably a better route (ie, included a lot of extras to help keep things correct).
check the track bar as it might be hitting something or loose sway bar bolts. I and a popping noise once and it was sway bar bolts.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:39 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
For starters you don't have to take the trackbar loose to install a coil spacer. You also don't need to take the sway bar loose at the frame. Jack it up, support the frame, undo the shocks and sway bar links, then lower the axle down. Don't support either end of the axle. Just lower the axle till the springs fall out, put the spacer on and put them back in. With the axle not supported, it will let the end you are working on go down further. As far as the popping, I'm pretty sure your popping is coming from your upper trackbar bolt. Not sure what you torqued it to, but it needs to be almost 400 ft/lbs.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxFireman1972 View Post
For starters you don't have to take the trackbar loose to install a coil spacer. You also don't need to take the sway bar loose at the frame. Jack it up, support the frame, undo the shocks and sway bar links, then lower the axle down. Don't support either end of the axle. Just lower the axle till the springs fall out, put the spacer on and put them back in. With the axle not supported, it will let the end you are working on go down further.
In my case, I did have to remove the trackbar upper bolt - It simply wouldn't drop far enough on one side w/o dropping it. I took the swaybar completely loose just to gain better access to the trackbar upper bolt.

Quote:
As far as the popping, I'm pretty sure your popping is coming from your upper trackbar bolt. Not sure what you torqued it to, but it needs to be almost 400 ft/lbs.
I was under the truck yesterday and found the source of the popping. With the axle shifted towards the driver's side further than the pass side, the swaybar bushing was being pushed out of the clamp - It was just hanging onto the swaybar, but wasn't inside the clamp - The edge that's raised to keep it in place is totally destroyed (was fine when I installed the kit last weekend). The simple fact that the axle has shifted with the stock track bar is what caused it. I could also clearly see the ding in the sway bar from banging on the clamp since the bushing was getting pushed out... I put it back in place, but I'm sure it'll require a new bushing and either a track bar drop bracket or an adjustable track bar to keep the bushing in place and not being forced out.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante04SRT View Post
In my case, I did have to remove the trackbar upper bolt - It simply wouldn't drop far enough on one side w/o dropping it. I took the swaybar completely loose just to gain better access to the trackbar upper bolt.

Thats wierd. I've put MANY leveling kits on and never took the trackbar loose, or had to take the sway bar off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.