Lifted trucks get in here please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Talking Lifted trucks get in here please

I bought my truck not that long ago and while I love the lift (believe it's pro-comp 4 or 6" lift), it's driving me nuts between the vibration from take-off, the bouncing down the freeway, and the constant adjusting the steering.

So I wanted to ask folks here that have lifted trucks, is this the norm that I'm dealing with? Please say no!

If not, what can I do to solve some of these issues? I'm about to rip the last hair I have left on my head.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Check your u-joints and your drive shaft carrier bearing for your shake and bounce down the road also may need ladder bars your may have axle wrap. And for your steering issue if check all your steering components like tie rods and ball joints
Old 12-05-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psd_va View Post
Check your u-joints and your drive shaft carrier bearing for your shake and bounce down the road also may need ladder bars your may have axle wrap. And for your steering issue if check all your steering components like tie rods and ball joints
Can you go more in-depth on the carrier bearing and how/where to check for it? What, specifically am I looking for? Can I adjust it?
Old 12-05-2011, 07:04 PM

Make sure the carrier bearing is shimmed properly. Mine is shimmed correct and I still have vibration on take off. A one piece drive shaft will eliminate that vibration...
Old 12-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
Constant steering is either the lack of dual stabilizers or caster adjustment is needed.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeTech82787 View Post
Constant steering is either the lack of dual stabilizers or caster adjustment is needed.
I have constant steering also, but I have a dual stabilizer... I haven't had my front end alignment yet, so what you say makes sense... I was wondering if that was an issue. Thanks for that tip... I'm gonna take it this week to have it done... Hopefully that fixes both of our problems...
Old 12-06-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynysterHD View Post
I have constant steering also, but I have a dual stabilizer... I haven't had my front end alignment yet, so what you say makes sense... I was wondering if that was an issue. Thanks for that tip... I'm gonna take it this week to have it done... Hopefully that fixes both of our problems...
Do you have bump steer? You really shouldn't even need a stabilizer if the suspension is set up correctly.

Post up after your alignment. I would be curious if it fixes your issue.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown284 View Post
Can you go more in-depth on the carrier bearing and how/where to check for it? What, specifically am I looking for? Can I adjust it?
You want to shim it so it is as straight as possible. The shims are real simple and easy to install. Pretty cheap too and I don't think you need many at 6" of lift. Mine is a little different since I am at 12" of lift. It is an adjustable set up from One Up Offroad. You can see how the drive line is straight. Mine is a little more expensive at ~175 bucks.

But I am not sure if that is your issue. I didn't have any shims installed on mine but every truck is different. I had no shudder at all at takeoff. Just the typical slight vibration at 45 mph. I had a blown out steering stabilizer on my 6" lift and ran a while with no stabilizer at all with my 12" lift. No steering issues.

Just get under the truck and start looking and feeling the driveline and suspension components. See if there is ALOT of slop in the carrier bearing. Grab ahold of the driveline and shake it on each side of the carrier bearing.

Put the front axle on jack stands and feel everything. Grab the tires and check your ball joints and wheel bearings. See if there is any slop in the steering... Look at the leaf spring bushings. Just takes a little time to diagnose these issues. I certainly wouldn't be just throwing money at parts yet. Except the carrier bearing drop is pretty cheap and easy to do.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:23 PM

I have an 02 that has a noticeable shudder from takeoff, but its stock height in the rear. The front is lifted 4" though. Can stock height trucks need carrier adjustment?

My steering is pretty vague, too. Can you even adjust the caster on a solid axle leaf spring front end? I thought all we had adjustment on was toe and camber?
Old 12-06-2011, 03:38 PM

Thanks everyone. So with regard to the steering issue and if it were off, that would also result in premature wear on one side of the tire prior to the other side, correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.