Need help with Knuckle removal 03 F250 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 10:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help with Knuckle removal 03 F250

Hello,
I am new to this site and could really use some help on how to remove the steering knucle on my F250.

TRUCK SPECS
2003 F250 4x4 7.3 4 door 150,000 miles

THE PROBLEM:
When I engage 4x4, driver side front axle/ drive shaft area makes a clunking noise.

DIAGNOSIS:
I believe that the bearing that goes through front drive shaft driver side and sits in axle housing went bad. I have it all apart right now and when I lift up and down or side to side I has alot of play lifting at the CV/ u joint area on drver side front axle 4x4 drive shaft.

WHATS BEEN DONE SO FAR:
I removed wheel and tire, rotor , calipar, hub, dive spindal, rock gaurd and now I am left with steering knuckle. I tried to pull out driver side front axle drive shaft through knuckle but there is a metal plate/ gaurd of some sort that will not make it through hole in steering knuckle. Then I poped both upper and lower ball joints thinking that if I removed steering knocle drive shaft would come right out so I could put on new bearing on drive shaft.

I talked with a couple of local mechanics but they could not give me a real clear anwser on how to replace the bearing. Also do I need to disconect anything inside front pumkin to be able to slide out drive shaft ? Please let me know, need to have my transportation back.

Thanks Michael

Last edited by theworker; 11-18-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ford Super Duty Ball Joint Replacement Procedure | Superdutypsd.com

Take a gander through this and see if anything helps...
Old 11-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by layson View Post
Ford Super Duty Ball Joint Replacement Procedure | Superdutypsd.com

Take a gander through this and see if anything helps...
Thanks for the help . The only thing that still throws me off is that flat metal gaurd/ dust cover that is on mine but not on the one in those pics. You did anwser my question . I guess i will just try and pound it through the steering knuckle.

Thanks again Layson
Old 10-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did you ever figure out the flat metal gaurd on the back side of the steering knuckle. Im having the same problem now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.