Quick question about a part name - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 07:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quick question about a part name

So I was driving home and the bar that sits in front of the front differential where it connects driver and passenger side front wheels came off. I managed to connect it back together again but I have some questions.

What is this part called? Also does the threaded *sleeve* slide over top the threads then all you do is clamp it tight together? Or should it fully thread in.

I gotta drive the truck tonight for work but I don't want to if something isn't right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 07:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It's the tie rod. The sleeve should thread in, for alignment adjustments. I would take it somewhere and get it fixed asap.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:03 PM

The part with with the two clamps somewhat threads on? i thought the design was to put itover the passenger side threads and tighten the clamps on it
Old 11-11-2011, 04:08 PM

I did a bit more researching to find out proper names.

-The adjustable sleeve stayed connect to driver side tierod when it came apart.

-I removed the 2 bolts clamping the adjustable sleeve.

- I removed the driver side where the tierod attached to the hub.

-I then tried to thread the adjustable sleeve onto the threaded passenger tie rod.

-The adjustable sleeve didn't properly thread on, so I just put the sleeve over the passenger tierod and tightened the bolts on the sleeve as much as I could.

Everything is back together but what your saying is the adjustable sleeve should be able to spin freely on each tie rod ends?
Old 11-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I believe it spins to adjust the alignment to the proper setting then you tighten the clamp to keep it from spinning or backing off. If you just clamped it back on I'm betting your alignment is off. Did you figure out how this came apart?
Old 11-11-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend6.0 View Post
I believe it spins to adjust the alignment to the proper setting then you tighten the clamp to keep it from spinning or backing off. If you just clamped it back on I'm betting your alignment is off. Did you figure out how this came apart?
Well I mostly do highway driving, but anyone who has worked in the oilfield before knows the garbage gravel roads that must be travelled on.

I recently got a wheel alignment (50 days ago) From my knowledge the bolts that clamp onto the adjustable sleeve were loose. I mean really loose I managed to remove the bolts with only using a crescent wrench

My alignment is a bit off but as far as driving it steering feels tighter then it did before. My big concern is the fact that I can get that sleeve to spin onto the passenger side tie-rod threads.

Edit----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 8" all leaf Icon with dual ss, drag link etcc.. that should be here in a couple days but I don't belive it comes with any tie rod assembly.
I seen a straight tie-rod set up where you adjust it at each side where it connects to the hub? who makes these seems like a way better design then fords..
Thanks again this website has grown to be my favourite

Last edited by 20046.0; 11-11-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.