Lift Kits are Driving me Crazy - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lift Kits are Driving me Crazy

I want to lift the old SD about 4", so I have been doing some research and for the life of me can't figure out why I can find a 6" lift all day long from Pro Comp or Fabtech or SkyJacker for around $1000 - $1300 but if I only want 4" I get to choose from Carli's 4.5" and ICON's kits for no less than $1850.

(I am not dogging on either of the 4.5" kits, from what I can tell they are really nice kits.)

I guess I have a 3 part question

1. Are the Fabtech, Procomp or Skyjacker quality products? Do I lose anything by going with them over the Carli or Icon 4.5" like towing or ride quality or handling. (Carli claims to improve all with their starter kit)

2. Are there key parts in the lift that you need to make sure are included or you end up buying separate and paying $1800 anyway?

3. Are there any other companies that offer a 4" kit for a 2006 Crew Cab FX4. ProComp, Fabtech and Skyjacker all start at 6" for my SD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 12:27 PM

you cant go wrong with fabtech.. had there 4in lift on my old chevy 1500 and im now running the 8in fabtech with dirt logics..

When you buy the lift kit all the parts are included.. so you will be good on that. as far as 4in lift kits go i know ive seen them.. just dont know what brand
Old 10-13-2011, 02:22 PM

Revtek makes a 4" kit. And I'm not trying to talk you into it or anything but my step dad has a couple of them brand new sitting at his dealership that he would sell for a good price and ship them. Pm me some your adress if you want a quote I'll ask him tonight.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Pure Performance has kits in 4 inch and 4.5inch depending on what style you want. I have their 4 inch with bilstien 5100s on my truck now and couldnt be happier. it is definatly a quality product.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:30 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Carli and Icon setups ride significantly better than procomp/skyjacker/fabtech. Both on and offroad.

You won't believe the difference until you ride in a truck with em. It's definitely a "you get what you pay for" situation.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:22 PM

^^^^^^^^ What he said. Offer still stands. You are close enough to me that you can go for a ride in mine.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2deisel View Post
^^^^^^^^ What he said. Offer still stands. You are close enough to me that you can go for a ride in mine.
You get what you pay for. I guess the Fabtech and Procomp are more popular because they are cheaper.

I am really interested in the Carli Starter kit but they are difinitely not just giving those away. But right now I am needing new tires soon that's why I was hoping I could get my new wheels and tires to fit on my stock truck and then save for the lift. Otherwise I need to buy replacement tires put very little mileage on them and then pay more to buy big tires later.

BTW, I haven't forgotten about your offer for a ride along in the truck, Just been busy trying to find a buck. So far I haven't killed anything but a few six packs at camp
Old 10-17-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy06 View Post
You get what you pay for. I guess the Fabtech and Procomp are more popular because they are cheaper.

I am really interested in the Carli Starter kit but they are difinitely not just giving those away. But right now I am needing new tires soon that's why I was hoping I could get my new wheels and tires to fit on my stock truck and then save for the lift. Otherwise I need to buy replacement tires put very little mileage on them and then pay more to buy big tires later.

BTW, I haven't forgotten about your offer for a ride along in the truck, Just been busy trying to find a buck. So far I haven't killed anything but a few six packs at camp
Are you wanting new wheels or think you need them? I think the stock wheels look great with a lift and 35" tire's. If your truck is used in the dirt then why spend the money on some wheels that will get ruined? If mine came with those then I would have left them. I like the sleeper look. To each his own though.
I have a deer tag for Utah that starts this Saturday. I may not even get to use it. Lifes challenges are getting in the way. Might be able to make a bonzi run for the weekend.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2deisel View Post
Are you wanting new wheels or think you need them? I think the stock wheels look great with a lift and 35" tire's. If your truck is used in the dirt then why spend the money on some wheels that will get ruined? If mine came with those then I would have left them. I like the sleeper look. To each his own though.
I have a deer tag for Utah that starts this Saturday. I may not even get to use it. Lifes challenges are getting in the way. Might be able to make a bonzi run for the weekend.
I don't need fancy wheels; in fact the wheels I was looking at were basically an aftermarket version of what I already have. The main reason that I was looking at new wheels was that I was told that if you put oversized wheels on a smaller wheel (width wise) one it isn't totally safe and two there would be a good chance I would get bad center wear on the new $350 tires. I don't know if this is entirely true but I had seen a very large amount of truck with big tires and bad center wear on their tires. If I can do it on the stocckers I am one happy camper. But I guess my issue still remains that I need tires soon but am not sure I can get 35's on it stock until I can afford the lift.

That would be a shame to give up a tag for Utah, but I know about real world getting in the way of fun. I am lucky enough to get to go to South Dakota in a couple of weeks to try my luck with my Dad and Uncle.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy06 View Post
I don't need fancy wheels; in fact the wheels I was looking at were basically an aftermarket version of what I already have. The main reason that I was looking at new wheels was that I was told that if you put oversized wheels on a smaller wheel (width wise) one it isn't totally safe and two there would be a good chance I would get bad center wear on the new $350 tires. I don't know if this is entirely true but I had seen a very large amount of truck with big tires and bad center wear on their tires. If I can do it on the stocckers I am one happy camper. But I guess my issue still remains that I need tires soon but am not sure I can get 35's on it stock until I can afford the lift.

That would be a shame to give up a tag for Utah, but I know about real world getting in the way of fun. I am lucky enough to get to go to South Dakota in a couple of weeks to try my luck with my Dad and Uncle.
First off what tires are you looking at that they are $350? I don't agree with oversize tires on a narrow wheel being too dangerous. You may wear the centers more but that depends on how much pressure you run. I put 40k miles on my 315/70r17 BFG AT's. That includes towing my toyhauler all over the place and these were "D" rated tires. I still had tread left but wanted something more aggressive for my trip back to Utah at the time. The weight of the front of these trucks alone will flatten your tire to give more tread on the road.

This is my buddies truck with stock 16" wheels and 315/75r16 BFG AT's. That is as close as a 35x12.50r16 you will get in metric. The 315/70r17 is more like
34.3x11.50r17. I have seen people running 37" on stock wheels pulling trailers. Now I don't think you will be able to put a 11.5" or 12.5" 35" tire on a stock height truck though the stock 20" wheels come with a metric 35" that is skinnier.
I am going to try and pull something off to make it to Utah for the weekend. Good luck in SD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.