3" Ready Lift - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 09:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool 3" Ready Lift

Ok, I did the lift install on my 08, everything went according to plan for the most part, the only thing I have an issue with is my steering wheel is off. The kit came with the track bar bracket that bolts up to the frame. But why or how did my steering wheel get off.? Is this something I can adjust or just leave it for the alignment shop
its gotta go anyways. It drives the same as before the lift it. Just dont know why it got off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011, 11:41 AM

any time you adjust your front suspension you need a alignment asap. The alignment shop should have everything needed to fix you up. The trackbar bracket only adjusts the axle side to side but the draglink links your pitman arm to the rest of the steering components. Not a big deal, it's normal and easy to get fixed
Old 10-11-2011, 05:20 AM

Good, because i was worried i did something out of whack, Ok, with that said, do I, SHould I have a Pittman arm to go with the 3" of lift? I've heard talk of an adjustable Track Bar? Is that for a taller LIft??
Old 10-11-2011, 05:22 AM

And now i just realized, I need to revise my Signature. Yea........
Old 10-11-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT View Post
Good, because i was worried i did something out of whack, Ok, with that said, do I, SHould I have a Pittman arm to go with the 3" of lift? I've heard talk of an adjustable Track Bar? Is that for a taller LIft??
No, you don't need a new pitman arm since the draglink is adjustable. If you look at the front of your truck now the axle will be pushed more towards the drivers side. this happens because the top trackbar mount is now further away from the bottom mount due to you lifting the truck body. The trackbar is still the same length so to correct the axle shifting over to the drivers side you will need a longer trackbar. You can buy a adjustable trackbar from various places and they are not cheap but they will correct the axle shifting issue. Some people don't care about it, I know it would drive me nuts but what ever you want. When you get into lifts they usually either come with a adjustable trackbar or a different mount so you can use the original trackbar.

You don't need the adjustable trackbar to fix the alignment issue
Old 10-11-2011, 07:26 AM

WELL the kit came with a different track bar bracket. And when i went re-install the track bar, It was off, so i loosen up the track bar bracket, than mounted the track bar into the bracket, and tighten up the bracket. It drives straight just my cruise controls and radio controls or 90 deg. off now. it seemed like a lot. thats what had me worried,
Old 10-11-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
WELL the kit came with a different track bar bracket. And when i went re-install the track bar, It was off, so i loosen up the track bar bracket, than mounted the track bar into the bracket, and tighten up the bracket. It drives straight just my cruise controls and radio controls or 90 deg. off now. it seemed like a lot. thats what had me worried,
I wouldn't worry, the steering wheel is off now since you didn't lengthen your draglink. A alignment shop will have to do that, it's all normal issues when lifting or lowering a vehicle
Old 10-11-2011, 08:23 AM

SO, everything will fall back into place so to speak after the alignment? I don't want my axle off . So with the re-location of the track bar hence the NEW track bar bracket. the axle should be where it was before i lifted it? ANd if not I'm guessing and adjustable track bar fixes that???. I'm not as worried as i was before....... But i can't get to the alignment shop till end of the week. will it hurt to drive like this for short distances??
Old 10-11-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
SO, everything will fall back into place so to speak after the alignment? I don't want my axle off . So with the re-location of the track bar hence the NEW track bar bracket. the axle should be where it was before i lifted it? ANd if not I'm guessing and adjustable track bar fixes that???. I'm not as worried as i was before....... But i can't get to the alignment shop till end of the week. will it hurt to drive like this for short distances??
In theory, yes, everything should fall back in place after the alignment. I'm not sure how "exact" the new trackbar bracket is, if will bring the axle back it's original location or if it's off a tad. Either way that won't affect anything but the looks from the axle being pushed to the side. I wouldn't worry about getting a adj. trackbar, since you already have a dropdown bracket which will get you close, if not, dead on to the original location. With the truck out of alignment your tires will have accelerated wear, but again, I wouldn't worry about it for a short amount of time. I for sure wouldn't drive any long trips, or wait more than a few days to get one. Our tires are EXPENSIVE and I'd hate to lose a couple thousand miles of tread life just because I couldn't make it to the shop for a alignment.

Bottom line is get a alignment as soon as you can, don't worry about the trackbar since you have a drop down bracket.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the re-assurance, I drove it to work this morning, and around the house all weekend not far. And yes i just spent 1400 on tires, So i know what u mean by expensive. I guess i'll just have to drive my 99 around till they can fit me in on Monday. iTS nice to have the luxury of having 2 f-250's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.