Lowering from 10" to 6" - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lowering from 10" to 6"

I finally got my dream truck..2002..loaded..low miles..38's..built..but the mileage has been killin me lately. I wanna drop down to 35's with a 6" lift. From what i can tell the current lift kit is all leaf springs except the blocks in the rear. So should i just pull the blocks in the rear and pull some leafs from the front and get a new pitman arm? I can take pics tonight if that would help. Also the rear end has been tilted so would i have to get that corrected as well? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have you checked your gears? If yours are still stock you could lower your ratio to possibly help with mileage issues.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yep i have 4.56's...i kinda figured that was part of the problem too...when im cruising about 75 i sit around 2300 rpms.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:40 PM

I can get 18 with my 02 3.73s on 35s at <70 if i run it over 2000RPM it drops down to 16 or so. I think main problem is the 4.56's but if you change them you will have a whole new set of problems with the 38's I recommendation is to drive slower! its a lot cheaper$$
Old 09-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD444EVER View Post
I finally got my dream truck..2002..loaded..low miles..38's..built..but the mileage has been killin me lately. I wanna drop down to 35's with a 6" lift. From what i can tell the current lift kit is all leaf springs except the blocks in the rear. So should i just pull the blocks in the rear and pull some leafs from the front and get a new pitman arm? I can take pics tonight if that would help. Also the rear end has been tilted so would i have to get that corrected as well? Thanks for your help.
Where are you located? i have a 6inch lift with 35 kuhmos, are you interested in trading?
Old 09-20-2011, 06:12 PM

Drop the blocks down. NEW front 6 inch springs. 4 new shocks for a 6 inch lift. Done.

(unless you have an adjustable track bar/extended pitman arm..things like that, youll have to change those too).

Edit: Just buy a new lift. You might as well. Oh ya, shorter u bolts on the rear springs too.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the help you guys. Im in eastern WA. My main goal is to make it more of a daily driver and get around 16 and up MPG's. I love the power with 4.56's and my ride height with 38's but im not gonna lie its a pavement pounder. And whenever i wanna do oil changes or work on it i gotta drive 5 hours back home to my parents shop in western wa. So between buying 4 gallons of schaeffer oil and 2 tanks of fuel my last oil change cost me about 350 bucks lol

OR do you think it would be more cost effective to regear to maybe 4.10's or 3.73's and buy some 37's? The guy i bought the truck from said the tranny was good up to 950hp..its got a big ATS pan..shifts great.. but doesnt have a billet input shaft. The hottest i've seen my tranny was 180 and that was in stop and go traffic on a 100 degree day. Im right on the verge of needing new tires so im trying to decide what route i should take.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:07 PM

I bring her down to a 6 inch like you talked about, 37s, and 4.10 gears.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

so this is my current plan. I'm gonna re-gear to stock 3.73s...i think i have enough mods to the motor and tranny that it wont be a turd or give it problems...i did the rpm calculations and i would be at 1450 rpms around 70...and im gonna drop down to 37x13.50s from my 38x15.50s and see what my mpg's do. Basically this keeps me from buying a new lift as well..i hope the 37's dont look goofy with the 10inch lift...

also...right now i have the edge evolution..i usually run the 80hp setting....should i dump that and get a DP tuner with some economy tunes or pick up a regulated return? Both are in my future but it always takes me a few months to save up extra money for my little side purchases..
Old 10-01-2011, 09:07 PM

Find someone to swap axles with...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.