Power Steering Pump Overheating? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power Steering Pump Overheating?

I'm new to these forums, but i'm sure Ill be using them a lot.
This all first started when I was pulling my boss out of a hole with my personal truck (2002 F-250 7.3)
Was pulling him, and after a few attempts I got out real quick, when I got back in I think, but am not positive, that I had my wheel turned almost all the way into a small hill, thats when I first realized my steering wasn't right, then along came the brakes going pretty much out. I got to looking & I seen that my PS cap/dipstick had melted/boiled. I knew that it wasn't good, I then had to drive the truck about 20-30 miles back to my hotel. (which was not fun with 37's) I then went bought a new pump replaced it all up & got it all working like before again. I did notice a small hose that had came disconnected on my front right wheel, so I simply put it back on.

About 2 weeks later, I was driving on a gravel road & needed to turn around & head the other way, there was an opening big enough to do a 180 in as I spun out, thats when my steering goes out again. I knew exactly the feeling this time, & first thing I check was the small hose on my right front wheel, & it happened to be disconnected, haven't had the time to trace it to see if it is linked to my PS or just a coincidence, I then brought it back home & got a new pump & replaced it. I now have the small hose more secured with a little clamp just in case.
Right after I got this pump on, I was letting my truck idle, when I heard some unfamiliar noises that seemed to be coming from the PS pump area. I looked around a little & realized the pump was getting real hot again, & as I pulled my new cap/dipstick off I could tell it was way to warm, (really flimsy & possibly a small boil mark on it) I then turned my pickup off & was done with it for the night. I now am now 8 hours away at work without any pictures of the truck or pump.. etc. but am searching for a reason why it may be getting to hot, & any suggestions on things to do. Ill be checking this every night after work.
Thanks all,
Andy

Note: This may pertain to the above, a while before the first PS pump blow out, something happened to my steering also, I was up on a curb a little bit & all I know is I had my pickup off for a while, a buddy got in my drivers seat, telling me he loved my truck, then when I got back in & started it up my steering was actually really loose, I checked all openly visible parts while having my wheel turned & nothing seemed loose, was thinking it could be in the steering box itself? not sure on that either. hadn't had time to work/check on that due to being at work a lot & having a different daily driver. not sure if its happened to anyone else tho, when having my oil changed the man actually asked me if I had "super" power steering, noting how loose it was. It may all be linked together some where, it also may just be a coincidence this I don't know yet, & is why I am here.
Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the org! Lots of info here to!
I could be off a little but i believe that the factory stile pumps will not hold up to 37's. My friends 03' has 37's and you can not turn the wheel unless it's moving. He keeps talking about a HD pump but has not done it yet. Is there a inline cooler? Were did you get the new pump? Maybe take it back? Maybe post this ? in the 99' to 03' were more folks will see this and maybe have a better answer.

Last edited by AWS96; 09-12-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would look into going w/ a hydro assist kit, I know PSC,West Texas Offroad, & One Up Offroad all make something for the Super Duty's.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry its been a few days, been putting in long hours at work.
Well, I had a factory PS pump before & it never gave me issues, I have been able to turn the wheel with it in Park, but I will look into getting a HD pump as well, got the Pump at O'rielys Auto Parts, it could be just a bad pump, but I was trying to go a bit deeper to insure this didnt happen again. & thanks for the reply, Just posted it in the 99-03 section so we'll see where that goes.
& a Hydro assit kit, okay ill look into that as well, I actually am a failry new powerstoke owner, always had my 94' Ranger so ive been learning quite a bit recently. Better now then never I guess tho.
Thanks again for the replys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.