pic request 12" 42's 03-04 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
pic request 12" 42's 03-04

ok so i'm in need of new wheels and tires soon and after talking to the wife she says she wishes the truck was bigger so of course i was excited that means i get to buy a new lift and wheels and tires. i'm at 8" on 38.5's now. i'm thinking 10" lift on top of the 2" front spring drop brackets to make a 12" lift and was thinking 42" tires. any ideas of what is the best wheel size and tire combo thinking 20 or 22's. i like wide tires so probably at least 14.50 tire most likely 15.50. i would like a good riding lift not sure who has the best ride quality. and can i get some pics from you guys to see and make sure its what i want

thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have a 12.5" icon and it rides as good as stock. I don't think I would run anything bigger then 40's, I can still get my tires to rub. So if you do alot of wheeling it might not be the best choice, but 42's would look great and clear fine.

A few things to look at....
Crossover steering
dynatrac ball joints
Longer drive shaft along with an adjustable carrier bearing drop

One option for the front driveline is to get a new trans crossmember and clock the T-case 20 degrees and use your stock driveline. The angles are much better for the driveline if you use 4x4 alot.

I will think a little more about what I had to do and post up later. If you want to see any pictures just go to my webshots page below. There are quite a few photos of my truck.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Chapter Director

Ok that might be more than I'm wanting to get into thanks
Old 09-08-2011, 06:45 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
12 in and 38s in sig...
Old 09-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Chapter Director

ok so i talked to wifey and she still wants the truck bigger. she said if your gonna do it do it right. so what is the purpose or benifit of cross over steering? also i don't ever take it off road except maybe a trip to the beach but that has gotten pretty minimal due to a 3-4hr drive. i do tow my boat but it is little and i can get a custom drop hitch made that will work and even then i have private boat launch in my neighborhood so i don't tow it far unless i have to fill it up with gas. any other input or necessacary things that need to be done.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:15 PM

Crossover steering helps correct the steering geometry. You get a new steering knuckle that moves the where the drag link connects too. It is moved higher above the leaf spring. That geometry change minimizes the change in height between the steering box and the steering knuckle. You could imagine that if you didn't do this that your steering will suck. When I did this, my truck steered better with 40's and 12" of lift then when I had 6" of lift and 37's with the stock steering knuckle.

Take a look at the truck toyz website. You can customize their lift kits. That is what I did when I was doing mine.

I went with One Up Offroad traction blocks so I didn't have any axle wrap and also went with the Dynatrac ball joints. Since I didn't want to have to swap those out ever year or two.. LOL

To me that is the way to do it correct. You can probably get away with not doing alot of things...

Don't forget you will probably need gears. I will put together a list of my complete setup. You can pick and choose what you want... LOL.

- Icon 12.5" lift kit - 3,285.00
- One Up Offroad Traction Blocks - 1,363.93
- Attitude Performance Re-indexing Ring for the Transfercase - 275.00
- Attitude Performance Transmission Crossmember - 299.00
- Dynatrac Ball Joints - 689.00
- One Up Offroad extended my rear driveline - 1,380.00 (You can get this ALOT cheaper if you find a local drive line shop)
- Stainless Brake Lines - 151.80
- Icon's Signature Series Reservoir Shocks - 796.00
- One Up Offroad Carrier Bearing Drop Kit - 175.28
- Tires... ???
Old 09-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Chapter Director

do you have to index the transfer case? and can i do a 1 piece drive shaft or do i have to stay with a 2 piece? what if i did just a 10" lift would you still recomend indexing transfer case and transmission crossmember
Old 09-13-2011, 02:20 PM

You don't have to, but what it does is change the angle of the front driveline. That way you can still use your stock one. If you leave it the way it is and get a longer front driveline then the angle is pretty bad, probably manageable though.

My truck is a CCLB so I was advised to just stick with my two piece and have it lengthened. I got the One Up Offroad adjustable carrier bearing drop that makes your Driveline straight as an arrow. If you have a short bed you probably can get away with a one piece.

10" is probably a gray area. There are quite a few guys that have done nothing to their drivelines at that height. Then again a few others that have had issues.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:31 PM

Just a thought but have you considered cut out flares? I mean you wouldnt be gaining anything in lift height, but it would allow you to run bigger tires without having to worry about the driveline issues related to real big lifts? That way you can save some money and still get a little bigger. or dump the saved money into new gearing, ball joints, cross over steering ect. Either way good luck!
Old 10-01-2011, 02:32 PM

i'm new to the site i just bought a 2011 f250 4x4 and its getting lifted next monday. i'm going with a 12" bulletproof kit, king 2.5 coil overs, king steering stablizers, 40x15.5x20 toyo mt's. i know alot of people with this kit and its one of the best and rides very nice. as long as you stay set at 12" you don't have to index the transfer, no driveshaft mods or anthything else. i will eventually re-gear in a few months can't wait though!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.