7,000 LB Coil Springs and Dual Rear Helper Leafs - Nice! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7,000 LB Coil Springs and Dual Rear Helper Leafs - Nice!

Finally gave up on the 6,000 LB coils and went to 7,000s. Are they too stiff on a F250 - - - Nope. Just right

They are definitely firm, but not at all harsh. Truck does not dive at all when braking, and combined with the Hellwig front and rear sway bars, it corners like an Indy Car. Raised the front 3/4" over the 6,000 LB coils.

Also recently added all of the factory parts to add rear helper springs to my truck. Truck came with "F-Code" rear springs.

But here's the catch. Instead of adding just one factory helper, I added two on each side. I added one from a F350 DRW and one from an F250/F350 SRW, and installed the pair on each side of the rear suspension. Also added Stable Loads and re-installed my Airlift airbags. Here is a link to a post I made on RV.NET. RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Double overload springs on a F250

Can't wait to load the camper and see the difference.

Last edited by skanj0; 08-24-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011, 04:48 PM
The Silent Service

Looking to up the front springs in mine, and get rid of the front sag a bit. This may be the better option for me than the 6K's I was considering. Thanks for the link.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
Looking to up the front springs in mine, and get rid of the front sag a bit. This may be the better option for me than the 6K's I was considering. Thanks for the link.
If I had to do it over again I would have skipped the 6,000 LB coils, and would have gone directly from 5,200 LB to 7,000 LB coils. I had the 6,000 LB coils on for 2 years and 20K miles. During that time they sagged at least 1/2".

It's a relatively cheap upgrade - I think just under $200 total for the springs and shipping to my doorstep (40 lbs by the way). Combined with 1" ICON TEI spacers, the 7,000 LB coils leveled my truck.

Suggest checking with Tousley Ford. I've found no cheaper price for OEM ford parts, and they are great folks to work with. Ask for Mike.

Part # for the 7,000 LB coils is: 5C3Z-5310-AA
Old 08-26-2011, 01:45 AM
The Silent Service

Thanks for the part number.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just might have to do the 7000 pounds coils on my truck but I was wondering why with all the work you put into the rears you didn't just upgrade to 08 dually spring and your air bags.Thats what I'm thinking for mine.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
dual rate coils best of both worlds! I have 275lbs per inch travel for first two inches of shock travel(starting from ride hieght), then 600lbs per inch for the last 6" of travel. Makes for a very smooth ride on the freeway, but transitions to heavy rate fairly quickly off road.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS/Fan View Post
I just might have to do the 7000 pounds coils on my truck but I was wondering why with all the work you put into the rears you didn't just upgrade to 08 dually spring and your air bags.Thats what I'm thinking for mine.
Good question. I thought about going that route, but I didn't want a stiffer ride in the rear when empty. That's why I decided to double up the helper springs and re-install my air bags on top.

Before adding the helper springs, the bags alone would level my load (Lance 845 camper), but only at >95 PSI. The truck also had a lot of side to side sway at those pressures. Any less pressure would allow the rear to drop and would allow the the truck to porpoise (rock front to back rhythmically) while going down the road. The dual helper springs should carry the load better (perhaps 50% on springs and 50% on the bags), while at the same time allowing me to run about 50 PSI in the bags, and have much more side to side stability (due to now having 8 spring contact points instead of 4).

Lastly, since I'm mostly off-road with the camper, should the bags or air lines fail (bags are already quite cracked and they are only 1 year old), I know I can still carry the load without them (though I will be low in the rear).
Old 08-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
dual rate coils best of both worlds! I have 275lbs per inch travel for first two inches of shock travel(starting from ride hieght), then 600lbs per inch for the last 6" of travel. Makes for a very smooth ride on the freeway, but transitions to heavy rate fairly quickly off road.
Sounds like a great setup. Tell me more. Who makes them? Do they come in stock or +2 lengths? What is the cost per spring or for the pair?

While I love the firmness and handling of the 7,000s, they are definitely stiff when hitting a poor transition on the highway, such as the ground-out transition from asphalt roadway to concrete overpass during road construction (darn near hit my head on the roof; though I am 6'-4"). One thing I'm certain of, if the 7,000s are anything like my original 5,200LB coils, or the 6,000LB coils I ran for 2 years, they will soften-up over time. Especially after putting about 3,500LBs of camper on the rear

Lastly, I also noticed that my trucks seems to have much less wander on the road with the stiffer coils. Didn't notice that when going from the 5,200s to the 6,000s.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I get what your saying but if you really want stability a F350 dually with a 13,000 pound GVWR is the way to go.LOL.Seriously though,it's amazing the difference from srw to drw.I can darn near out handle a mustang in the curves.I do run airbags with aleast 10 pounds in them at all times,seems to ride alittle smoother.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS/Fan View Post
I get what your saying but if you really want stability a F350 dually with a 13,000 pound GVWR is the way to go.LOL.Seriously though,it's amazing the difference from srw to drw.I can darn near out handle a mustang in the curves.I do run airbags with aleast 10 pounds in them at all times,seems to ride alittle smoother.
Totally makes sense. I imagine the next truck will be a 4x4 dually. Seems like a perfect setup for a Truck Camper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.