Bang/popping/thud sound in front end - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Bang/popping/thud sound in front end

Guys need a little help trying to track down a noise I have. Not real good at describing noises.

I noticed the sound the day after I installed my 4" tb Mbrp exhaust. I drove it the day I installed the exhaust and didn't notice anything.

The next day while turning right onto the freeway on ramp I got on the go pedal pretty hard and I heard what sounded like 2 back fires from the area that the turbo is under the hood. Worried me a little but figured I was hearing things. Picked up my buddy and we headed out for are fishing trip. Had to show off the truck so while on are crappy freeways I got on the go pedal hard again and noticed the sound again. Sounded like a couple back fires under the hood. So I took it easy so we could get to are boat at least before the truck broke down.

On the way home we hit a real bad section of freeway and we heard the sound again. This time I was coasting and my buddy said he could feel and here the sound under his feet.
I have had two other people tell me they feel/ hear it under the passenger side floor board.

If I accelerate hard I will get the bang/popping/thud sound. If I am going over bad road 30mph + and hit the bumps just right I hear the sound.

I have looked all over under my truck and I can't find anything broken or loose. The only thing I know I need to replace is the outer tie rod. The boot is torn and will not hold any grease. Been that way since I bought it. Could a bad ball joint in the tie rod be the cause of the sound?

I don't think it is my exhaust but it seems weird it started happening the day after I installed it.

Does anyone have any ideas? This is bugging the hell out of me.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by cj1026; 08-09-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I say your down pipe is hitting the under side of the truck when under hard acceleration. Probably need to loosen the clamp at the turbo and under the truck and try to rotate the pipe.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:42 PM

I will check that out in a bit. Would it also hit when driving on bumpy roads?
Old 08-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1026 View Post
I will check that out in a bit. Would it also hit when driving on bumpy roads?
Very possible. Have someone get under the truck and push the exhaust up and down while you sit inside and listen. I'll almost guarantee you have a clearance issue and will have to rotate the exhaust.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:01 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dhanna's right about the down pipe. had to tweak on mine to keep it off the firewall. go vote for his truck in the ROTM. just a few votes will get him back on top. vote now, thanks!!
Old 08-09-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
Very possible. Have someone get under the truck and push the exhaust up and down while you sit inside and listen. I'll almost guarantee you have a clearance issue and will have to rotate the exhaust.
I do believe you are right sir. The down pipe and clamp are resting on the firewall. It's hard to push on, but I did get it to move and it is a very familiar sound. Don't have time tonight to adjust it, but hopefully this week or weekend I'll get in there.
I'll let you know the results after I do adjust it.

Thank you for the help.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
I do believe you are right sir. The down pipe and clamp are resting on the firewall. It's hard to push on, but I did get it to move and it is a very familiar sound. Don't have time tonight to adjust it, but hopefully this week or weekend I'll get in there.
I'll let you know the results after I do adjust it.

Thank you for the help.
No problem. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:32 PM

dhanna just wanted to let you know you were right on the money. I adjusted my down pipe a week and a half ago. Have not heard another bang.

Thank you again for the help.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
dhanna just wanted to let you know you were right on the money. I adjusted my down pipe a week and a half ago. Have not heard another bang.

Thank you again for the help.
Good deal
Old 08-14-2014, 05:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bringing this back.... Mine is doing the same thing. Is it hard to adjust the down pipe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.