Steering wobble cure? - VIDEO - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering wobble cure? - VIDEO

Was having the beginnings of the old death wobble. Fixed it with stabilizers and shocks. The before and after video at the end is interesting:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccowlick View Post
Was having the beginnings of the old death wobble. Fixed it with stabilizers and shocks. The before and after video at the end is interesting:

‪Installing Rancho Steering Stabilizers & RS9000XL Shocks Ford Super Duty‬‏ - YouTube
Great Video! I allways wanted to see the front end in action. My truck does the same thing with 35's Do you think that is was the duel stabilizers or the combination of the new stabilizer and the diffrent valving on the Ranchos.. By looking at your video it looks like the wheel dosent bounce upward as much as it did with the stock shocks. The ranchos looked like they had better rebound than your previous units. Your thoughts?
Old 08-07-2011, 04:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomez View Post
Great Video! I allways wanted to see the front end in action. My truck does the same thing with 35's Do you think that is was the duel stabilizers or the combination of the new stabilizer and the diffrent valving on the Ranchos.. By looking at your video it looks like the wheel dosent bounce upward as much as it did with the stock shocks. The ranchos looked like they had better rebound than your previous units. Your thoughts?
Yeah, I think it was a combination of shock and dampener that fixed the problem. The stock shocks have been spec'd too lightly for my taste especially with my larger tires. With the new Rancho's, the tire just won't fall into the pot hole and therefore bounce back up like the OEM shocks. The stabilizer adds just a little resistance to the steering feel so it's not as loosey feeling as before either. I felt like the OEM steering is over-assisted to begin with. All around it's a big improvement.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:10 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
GREAT video of before and after. Those GOPRO cameras are amazing.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccowlick View Post
Yeah, I think it was a combination of shock and dampener that fixed the problem. The stock shocks have been spec'd too lightly for my taste especially with my larger tires. With the new Rancho's, the tire just won't fall into the pot hole and therefore bounce back up like the OEM shocks. The stabilizer adds just a little resistance to the steering feel so it's not as loosey feeling as before either. I felt like the OEM steering is over-assisted to begin with. All around it's a big improvement.
I have had Bilstiens on my truck for years and thought that they did a pretty good job of controlling the ride. But latley my front end feels like your before video bouncing all around. I dont a have a GoPro yet but it looks like a great investment. I have raced dirt bikes for years and you have the option of adding a few clicks of compression or rebound to correct the way the suspension is working. Have you had the chance to play with the adjustment yet?
Old 08-08-2011, 05:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Excuse my ignorance but much of this is new to me, so what exactly do the stabilizers do beyond the wheel wobble? The reason I ask is the steering in my excursion feels loose and floaty. It has a stabilizer in it but would an upgrade like you have help?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsdaddy View Post
Excuse my ignorance but much of this is new to me, so what exactly do the stabilizers do beyond the wheel wobble? The reason I ask is the steering in my excursion feels loose and floaty. It has a stabilizer in it but would an upgrade like you have help?
I would first recommend checking your tri rod ends and ball joints for play. Have some one get in the truck and turn the wheel back and forth to see if you can see any movement in the linkage. Have you adjusted the steering box yet? if not its very easy to do.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomez View Post
I would first recommend checking your tri rod ends and ball joints for play. Have some one get in the truck and turn the wheel back and forth to see if you can see any movement in the linkage. Have you adjusted the steering box yet? if not its very easy to do.
I just broght the truck home so no Ihave not done any of that, I was told by the previous owner at least one of the ball joints is recently replaced. The steering box is prob worth a shot to. Do you know if there is a walkthrough on that anywhere?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsdaddy View Post
I just broght the truck home so no Have not done any of that, I was told by the previous owner at least one of the ball joints is recently replaced. The steering box is prob worth a shot to. Do you know if there is a walk through on that anywhere?
I'm sure there is but I cant recall where I have seen it. You can do it your self with a jack an a assistant. Look for things that are moving without the tires moving. You are looking for excessive play in the joints.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Serving Our Country!

great video. How much does that rancho system call (basically everything you just bought) I'm running a similiar Rough Country setup, but those steering stabilizers and brackets just seem like they are a better, stronger setup than the ones I'm running. I don't have nearly as bad as a death wobble as you showed..I think my alignment just might be off a smidge, but who knows, the kit I have on might not be as good either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.