Snapping/Popping Sound Front Driver side suspension - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 11:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Snapping/Popping Sound Front Driver side suspension

I got an 8" fabtech lift on my 05. I keep hearing a snapping/popping sound on the front left suspension, that includes a coil and dual shocks. I hear the sound when I am making a "semi" hard right turn (like rolling through stop and turning left) or when I hit a bump or pothole. The sound comes only from the front left. I looked and everything looks to be ok and nothing damaged. Any idea what it could be? Again it is only on the front left and when basically the suspension is compressed by a turn or bump. It sounds like metal on metal contact
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Have you checked to make sure everything is torqued to spec? I ask because a guy I know (different vehicle) was having a clunking sound on his driveshaft. He checked the bolts and they seemed to be tight, but someone to told him to check against spec. He checked them and they weren't to spec. Once he torqued them to what they were supposed to be, the clunk went away.

Just a suggestion.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:35 PM

I have a similar issue.
Got a Carli 2.5 system. I hear some high pitched click/pop when I go to take off or sometimes making turns. No idea what it is.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:05 PM

My truck has experienced this twice. One times it was the ball joint on the left side of the steering arm (connected to the pitman arm) and the second time it was the ball joint on the right side of the track bar. Fortunately these were both fairly cheap repairs that I did myself, but they both required an alignment afterwords.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:50 PM

^ How much was the ball joint and how hard was the repair?
Old 07-30-2011, 08:15 PM

The one on the trac bar was ~$50 and required ~2hr to repair. You need the Ford ball joint tool. CHeck out the tutorials online.

The one on the steering arm was not replaceable and it required replacing that half of the steering arm. I think that cost $120 and was fairly easy to install.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:53 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had a popping sound as well when hitting the breaks hard. I found before I put on my adj track bar, the the axle was pulled to one side about an inch. As a result the front bump stop flange that holds the rubber would rub my coil spring when the spring would compress when applying the breaks. So I just removed the flange 1 bolt just something to look at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.