2002 transformation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 transformation

All right...Bear with me all. I am going to document my trucks transformation as it occurs...The truck has already gone through a couple phases as I will show...and hopefully the next one will be its last.
As the parts come in and when the install happens I will post up pictures and a narrative...

So here it goes:

Way back when...I was looking for a used SRW F-250 4x4 CC SB that wasnt beat to hell or really really expensive...These trucks are not too common around here and when they do come up they are either really expensive or....you guessed it..beat to heck.

So about a year into looking I come across this beauty...A 2002 F-350 CC Dually 4x4...50,000 on the ticker and a good price...

So I snatched her up and took her home...Drove her for a little over a year...did the PHP, JWVB, AIS, MBRP etc...But the dang think was sooo wide and hard to drive in the places I frequent. I spent a lot of time not being able to go places for the width.

I dont tow that much weight, and I had been throwing around the idea of de-duallying the truck...soooo:

It was a good thing I did. When I pulled the bed off I found that a nut had come loose and a bolt was coming out holding the rear leaf spring on:

and

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Serving Our Country!

So here is the skinnier result:

a whole lot skinnier:

I still have the dana 80 out back...The rear axle is a little over 1.5 inches wider on each side than the fronts (which I removed the factory spacers from)

The truck was sooo much easier and nicer to drive. I did not notice any difference in towing either but I dont tow a lot of weight anyways.

I was running stock 16 inch wheels with 285/75/16 BFG AT's which were kind of floaty...I bought a set of Goeske spacers ($$$) to match up the fronts.

This caused the fronts to rub a bit. Not a whole lot but it was really annoying...real annoying.

A few phone calls to Trevor at PMF and there I was on to the suspension...
Old 07-16-2011, 06:49 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Very nice! Are you figuring on doing a spray in bedliner to cover up the white then?
Old 07-16-2011, 06:51 PM
Serving Our Country!

Trevor of PMF, who I cant say enough about, helped me along, discussing my long term goals as well as short term needs hooked me up with a set of shackles and blocks.

This stuff is built...I mean really built.

Here is the track bar and the mount...specially built for my long term plans:

I ordered a set of bilsteins from CaryT... here is a comparison of them with a set of koni's from my classic mini:

The bilsteins ride nicer than stock, but are a little soft on rebound for my liking...

Here are the fronts being installed:

and the rear blocks:

Old 07-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Serving Our Country!

While I was doing the install, I ran into a couple little problems, and had some questions about things that I was unsure about.

It was a sat and sun (dang work interrupting my play time). I made calls into Trevor on the weekend and the dude calls me back. Not hours later, like calls me right back...

He very nicely walks me through and doesnt make fun of my bone head mistakes...

Thats service.

So fast forward, I get a set of factory 20's

They fit real nice. Ride real nice...and unfortunately will be up for sale in a couple weeks...
Old 07-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Serving Our Country!

So this is where I sit now...except the shell is now green:

I have had it this way for about 8 months now...

I have always wanted to do the 08 axle, for its great turning radius...and well the brakes and springs dont hurt...

I picked up an 08 axle with 4.10 gears (matches my rear axle great!) and its sitting in my garage. Holy crap was that thing heavy...

Trevor at PMF has been kind enough to put up with my questions for, well for just about forever, and well, we came up with a plan. WHo am I kidding, Trevor came up with a plan.

He is going to build me a 4 link for the front, with coilovers...yeah...and a set of traction bars with coilovers for the rear...

Its going to be about a 7 inch lift so I can run 20x10 with 37's.

So I am satnding by to stand by for the next step. I have my friends lined up for the install, even found a lift so I dont have to do it in my driveway.

So when the parts come in, and or the install starts, I will post more pictures...I cant wait.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by late_99_PSD View Post
Very nice! Are you figuring on doing a spray in bedliner to cover up the white then?
Yeah...it just seems like such a low priority considering its like $550 bucks around here.

That money has been reserved for the parts for the next stage of transformation...
Old 07-16-2011, 07:16 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Gotcha, especially if your gonna run the topper.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:45 PM
spool up that turbo!!

Gonna be sweet
Old 07-17-2011, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You'll really like Trevor's 4 link. Mine is great. That's quite a transformation you are doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.