03 F350 clunk in front end - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2011, 09:56 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03 F350 clunk in front end

'03 F350 CC shortie. Level lift installed back at 15K. 94K on it now, it's been making this noise for 30-40K at least.

I have chased this clunk for over a year now.. first thought it might be the steering dampner.. changed it. Nope.
Then changed out the swaybar end links... still clunks.
Shocks? Nope.. still does it.

Then, just the other day, I was laying underneath the beast, and noticed that the rear shackles are leaving marks on the frame.... not bad, but it's obvious they are coming in contact with the bottom part of the frame. The bottom part of the shackle has a horizontal brace across it, and this brace is what is hitting the frame.

I'm pretty certain that this is the cause of the noise I've been hearing, but has anyone else had this happen? Other than getting longer shackles.. what is the fix??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
pictures???
Old 07-16-2011, 10:37 AM

Great idea. I'll try to take a couple tonite & post 'em up.

But just to confirm; The rear shackle hits the bottom of the frame (rearward) on minor bumps.. almost seems like a weak mainspring.

Last edited by mjn; 07-16-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've been on a similar journey as you. My springs were hitting the brace on my lift shackel just like yours is hitting the frame. I took a plasma cutter and opened up the back of my shackel a little to clearance it and it helped a lot. Then I noticed it's doing the same on my lift hanger up front. I've just been to busy to fix that as well.

Mine only makes noise when i'm hitting just the right about of "light" bumps in the road that the suspension isn't compressing, just enough to rattle it
Old 07-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
Mine slammed the frame a few times. Then I realized I didnt have bump stops. Fixed that real quick.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Matt View Post
I've been on a similar journey as you. My springs were hitting the brace on my lift shackel just like yours is hitting the frame. I took a plasma cutter and opened up the back of my shackel a little to clearance it and it helped a lot. Then I noticed it's doing the same on my lift hanger up front. I've just been to busy to fix that as well.

Mine only makes noise when i'm hitting just the right about of "light" bumps in the road that the suspension isn't compressing, just enough to rattle it
Exactly! I don't really notice it on larger bumps.. it's just on the light ones. I really don't want to cut out the brace on the shackle..I like that it's heavy duty. There has to be a better way to resolve the problem.... like longer shackles??
Old 07-17-2011, 09:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjn View Post
Exactly! I don't really notice it on larger bumps.. it's just on the light ones. I really don't want to cut out the brace on the shackle..I like that it's heavy duty. There has to be a better way to resolve the problem.... like longer shackles??
I've had the same problem on my 03 F350 CC for awhile now. I replaced the ball joints and shocks, didnít help. On small bumps I would feel the clunk\noise under my feet. The other day I was getting my front end aligned and the technician said that my shackle bushings were wore out and thatís why I was getting that noise. He also said that my front end was not tracking with the back axle. So Iím in the process of replacing all my front shackle\leaf spring bushings with Energy Suspensions Front Leaf Spring Bushing set. FYI, the black sets are infused with graphite. Iím also replacing my sway bar bushings and track bar bushings. Iíll let you know how it turns out.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Front end clunk

Guys, I've been chasing the same issue with an 02 F350 with 140,000 miles on it. Les Shwab told me it was my front leaf springs sagging and installed an add-a-leaf which did not solve the problem, then took it to Dynamic Diesel who thought it was my sway bar linkages and bushings which they replaced and I still had the same front end clunk over bumps which was driving me crazy. I then noticed some noise coming from my hubs, took it back to Dynamic Diesel and they did notice the right front wheel had some play in it (camber I think) and reccomended replacing both bearing assemblys, I also had 4x4 engage issues so they replaced the locking stock hubs with warn hubs. Clunking noise gone and the truck drives like new. Front wheel bearing hub assembly part No. R515020, Warn Locking 4x4 hub part No. 11690. Hope this helps someone avoid unnecessary parts replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.