Need Help with selecting a lift kit - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Help with selecting a lift kit

Hey All, I haven’t been on in ages.

I need some advice. I don’t really know anything about lifting a truck, about the parts and things like when I have to worry about geometry and stuff.
The reason for the lift is ground clearance to give me just a little more access in the backwoods and open up some options for larger tires.
I have no intention of doing serious trails or crawling. I am thinking 4” (MAX) plus a couple inches from larger tires ought to be more than enough. I just want to have some “Just In Case” Clearance and tires for hunting this winter.
I could care less about name brands. I just want a solid, stout and reliable piece of kit that will work well on the freeway too because that is where the majority of the driving will still be.

P.S. Like most of you I don’t have a ton of cash just lying around.
P.S.S. I don't think I want a full mudder tire but does anyone have experience with an aggressive ALL TERRAIN that performs well in mud...10 ply perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Ford Super Duty 4.5 inch Hanger Lift Kit - Sky's Off-road Design

Made in the U.S.A.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:07 PM

I use my truck for exactly what you want yours for. I am out hunting/shooting in the backcountry almost every weekend in SoCal. Lately I have taken my truck places that I never thought I would be and it drives way better than I thought imaginable from a truck this size. I am running 35" Hankook Dynapro MT's cause I need an "E" rated tire for my 17" wheels cause I tow a heavy 5th wheel. I had BFG AT's which I have nothing bad to say about but no "E" rating for my tire size. I have been messing with my suspension a lot lately too. Started with an Icon 4.5" coil lift and blocks in the rear. Suspension was alright but not good enough. I have been dealing with Carli Suspension lately. Carli Suspension - Ford Super Duty Suspension Systems and Components
I am one of the first to put there King Coilovers on about three years ago. Recently I replaced my stock 05 rear leaf springs with 08 stock springs. Ride was better but decided to add the Carli 6-leaf mini pack in the rear with Carli spec rear Kings. Made an enormous improvement for the rear of the truck.

The owner of Carli Suspension bought a 2011 Superduty so he could develop a better suspension for the Supeduties. His valving is spot on for the 2011's and has some valving for the 6.4 motors. He is still trying to perfect the valving on his shocks for the 6.0 motor. I have kinda been his ginnie pig because I am close to there shop. He revalved my front coilovers to his new spec and told me to try it and give him my feedback. The new valving on the hwy is amazing but I had some concerns about it offroad and tried to explain to him. Now he wants to go with me the next time I am out in the dirt to see what I am talking about so he could correct it. If that isn't excellent customer service then I dont know what is. He wants real world feedback from me cause I use my truck how most real word people would.

You do not have to get the coilover to get the same ride quality. His truck is still coil springs and pin-top shocks. He just valved the coilovers to ride the same. If I were to do it again I would have stayed with coils and shocks cause it is cheaper. Also I do not have the optional secondary bypass shock on mine. Carli told me that I do not need it for what I use my truck for. That is pretty stand up of a company if you ask me. He could have easily made over $1k off of me if he tried to sell me the bypasses. Though they look way cool.

Truck just got detailed. It is usually very dirty. I need to take some pictures of it while it is being used in the dirt. I would atleast give them a call and tell them what you want. You are close enough that you could take his truck for a drive. Hell you are close enough to me too. You wont be disappointed.

Where you hunting this winter?
-Mike

Last edited by new2deisel; 07-11-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: adding
Old 07-11-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMang07 View Post
That kit wont work for him. His is an 06 with coil spring front end
Old 07-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2deisel View Post
That kit wont work for him. His is an 06 with coil spring front end
I'm gonna go sit in the corner for a couple minutes.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Thats funny right there.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2deisel View Post
I use my truck for exactly what you want yours for. I am out hunting/shooting in the backcountry almost every weekend in SoCal. Lately I have taken my truck places that I never thought I would be and it drives way better than I thought imaginable from a truck this size. I am running 35" Hankook Dynapro MT's cause I need an "E" rated tire for my 17" wheels cause I tow a heavy 5th wheel. I had BFG AT's which I have nothing bad to say about but no "E" rating for my tire size. I have been messing with my suspension a lot lately too. Started with an Icon 4.5" coil lift and blocks in the rear. Suspension was alright but not good enough. I have been dealing with Carli Suspension lately. Carli Suspension - Ford Super Duty Suspension Systems and Components
I am one of the first to put there King Coilovers on about three years ago. Recently I replaced my stock 05 rear leaf springs with 08 stock springs. Ride was better but decided to add the Carli 6-leaf mini pack in the rear with Carli spec rear Kings. Made an enormous improvement for the rear of the truck.

The owner of Carli Suspension bought a 2011 Superduty so he could develop a better suspension for the Supeduties. His valving is spot on for the 2011's and has some valving for the 6.4 motors. He is still trying to perfect the valving on his shocks for the 6.0 motor. I have kinda been his ginnie pig because I am close to there shop. He revalved my front coilovers to his new spec and told me to try it and give him my feedback. The new valving on the hwy is amazing but I had some concerns about it offroad and tried to explain to him. Now he wants to go with me the next time I am out in the dirt to see what I am talking about so he could correct it. If that isn't excellent customer service then I dont know what is. He wants real world feedback from me cause I use my truck how most real word people would.

You do not have to get the coilover to get the same ride quality. His truck is still coil springs and pin-top shocks. He just valved the coilovers to ride the same. If I were to do it again I would have stayed with coils and shocks cause it is cheaper. Also I do not have the optional secondary bypass shock on mine. Carli told me that I do not need it for what I use my truck for. That is pretty stand up of a company if you ask me. He could have easily made over $1k off of me if he tried to sell me the bypasses. Though they look way cool.

Truck just got detailed. It is usually very dirty. I need to take some pictures of it while it is being used in the dirt. I would atleast give them a call and tell them what you want. You are close enough that you could take his truck for a drive. Hell you are close enough to me too. You wont be disappointed.

Where you hunting this winter?
-Mike
Thanks for all that feedback; that's some good information. I will definitely look into Carli but my only concern is that 4.5" plus added height of tires feels like it might be a bit tall for me but perhaps not. As for hunting, I pulled a D13/11 and a Muzzleloader M7 so I'll get to be in the field from labor day until mid december. Fingers crossed because I haven't had any venison in a long time. Or wild pig.

How about you?

Last edited by Lucy06; 07-12-2011 at 06:00 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Well thanks for the attempt anyway!
Old 07-12-2011, 01:08 PM

Best riding kits will have 4 link arms..Pure Performance has a 4" kit that comes std with the arms. Icon has a 4.5" kit..

Toyo MT just might work best for what your looking for.

We can do lift kit and tire packages..PM me if I can help.

Cary
Old 07-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Emergency Services

Mike, do you know if Carli makes anything for just 2.5" of lift (leveling kit)? Or do they pretty much start at 4.5"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.