looking to lift 12 inch suspension 4 inch body - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 07:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looking to lift 12 inch suspension 4 inch body

Okay, so right now I own a mustang, but I'm looking to change that. I'm going to collage In Ohio next year and I need something to get through the snow with . After helping my father raise his 06 6.0 6 inches and put 37 inch nittos on it o decided I wanted to do something like that. I'm looking to purchase a 99-02 f250 4x4 (mostly so i can get the 7.3 and not have headbolt issues) and raise it with a 12 inch suspension lift. My problem is that I have yet to find a lift kit for it. Does anyone know of a kit ? And also what else do I need to do for this ? I'm sure a driveshaft modification will be needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 07:44 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
if you just want to get through snow why would you want to go 12inches? when you go 10+ in height things really become a mess. up to 8-10 (better off 8) there are multiple standard everything included lifts available for these trucks. Biggest problem with anything thru an 04 is they are a leaf spring front and have an extremely reduced turning radius compared to a coil sprung frontend. You could swap in an 05+ front axles or there also also coilover conversion kits for theleaf sprung trucks. But the real issue is in steering geometry when you go over 8 inches of lift. Im at 10inches of lift now and really need to button up some steering issues, plus I actually really need at least another inch if not 2 to clear my 40s properly.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I want a lift to get through snow little better but I figured if I'm going to lift it I ought to go big. What suspension issues arise? I did see a full suspension swap to add 12 inches but that was like $5500 it changed to coil over springs and everything
Old 06-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Premium Member

$5500 to swap to coil overs is actually pretty cheap considering even the cheapest ones r going to run $500 a piece. the steering geometry gets out of wack pretty quickly on these trucks. for something that high you would need to go to a cross over steering setup. It would probably make sense to talk to someone like Trevor (NotStock) from PMF (precision metal fab) a sponsor on here. He could probably help you more than I. here is his website
Old 06-23-2011, 08:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Alright thanks. Maybe a 8 inch lift with 4 inch body would be the better route to go lol
Old 06-23-2011, 08:16 AM
Premium Member

body lifts arent usually done with diesels since u usually have to extend intercooler pipes. not saying it cant be or impossible, im also not a fan of body lifts. What size tire are you wanting to run?
Old 06-23-2011, 08:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I didnt even think about that. Damnn. Well. What size would fit under with a 10 inch lift ?
Old 06-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you go to the truck toyz website you can put together a full Icon 12" kit that includes just about everything and utilizes your axles.

Click on the store, then find the Icon 12" kit.
http://www.trucktoyzperformance.com/...side_index.htm

Just be aware that tires alone can easily be 2-3,000 without the rims. The suspension kit itself is very spendy as well.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

you can fit 40s with a 10'' lift, tires are very pricey though seeing as u will be in school and whatnot it takes alot of fuel to push big tires around and then u need rims ull be looking at probably around 5g or more for rims and tires...pretty much doubledrop summed it all up for you....id love to have my truck on 40s and a big *** lift on it but its not pratical for me as i drive the thing everyday on the freeway. i got 8.5'' of lift with 37s and it still turns heads and i get compliments everywhere/gets me where ever i need to go in all weather and i can still put stuff in the back and use the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.