Upgrade to a new truck, or upgrade the supension? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upgrade to a new truck, or upgrade the suspension?

My truck has an 8" Skyjacker all leaf spring lift, w dual steering stabs, and DR shocks on all 4 corners with dual reservoirs up front.

I normally dont keep vehicles too long, but this truck is a love/hate. I love the trucks power and room, but hate the ride/suspension. I've also got some $ in the motor and would like to to see the longevity miles out of it.

I'm at the point where I really want to upgrade to a newer truck or upgrade my suspension. I want something the wife and kid can ride around in, without saying how bumpy it is everytime they ride in it. I'm tired of bouncing around everywhere when I hit every little bump, or when I'm on those lovely cemented highways with the dividers.

I would like to keep around an 8" lift, but with a much better ride quality. My thoughts are possibly going with OUO traction blocks, with a 4"-5" Deaver spring and a Full Traction coil over conversion up front.

Please give me your thoughts on what you would do, bc I have been on the fence for some time now, and I cant decide.

Last edited by raisemhigh; 06-20-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011, 09:17 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
If ya buy a new truck the suspension still sucks Haha. I hate the ride on mine. Every time I get the money to buy shocks and stuff something comesnup and that money is gone.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:20 PM

Change out the springs, the rest is good. Skyjacker are a stiff riding spring. Consider Icon or Deavers, and if you go to a lower lift spring with a shacker/hanger kit you will get a better ride than an all spring 8".
Old 06-21-2011, 06:36 AM

I have had many lifted trucks and you cant expect them to ride like stock trucks or even better. Things to look at would be like stated above new springs(softer ones) and maybe a new tire type. If you are running MT's that are real aggressive that will make a difference.

Hopefully you find a happy medium and get the time and life out of the truck since you have put some extra cash into it.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:42 AM

I am seriously considering the full traction coilover. I really like the way that kit is put together.

Also keep in mind you could get a coilover kit from Precision Metal Fab known as NotStock on here. I've talked to him about the kit & it is reasonably priced & very well put together. Link to a thread on one of his kits:

Full coil-over conversion, 08 F250

Also something to consider is converting to the 05 & up axles & suspension, I have noticed alot of trucks w/ that done w/ positive results. CT Performace can help you w/ that setup, they also have some spring/hanger setups that are said to ride better.

Overall, plenty of setups available. Pick your poison & good luck, make sure you post some pics when it's done
Old 06-21-2011, 11:57 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Deaver, or a coil sprung front end. Icon springs are sourced from deaver IIRC. Skyjacker, procomp, etc-all suck.

The 05 front suspension rides nicer, has lots of lift options, and the main benefit of getting an 05-up setup is the turning radius. Converting your truck to coilover is great, but it will still turn like....well, crap.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:33 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Many ways to get a better ride quality..best for a leaf spring 8" would be a Icon 4.5" hanger kit and their 4" front springs.

Want the best ride quality..sell your axles and get '05 up axles and a Pure Performance 8" 4 link kit..from just the front to full frt and rear 4 link coilovers..
swaping axles isn't that expensive after reselling yours..

Either way we can get you whats needed..
Old 06-21-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisemhigh View Post

I would like to keep around an 8" lift, but with a much better ride quality. My thoughts are possibly going with OUO traction blocks, with a 4"-5" Deaver spring and a Full Traction coil over conversion up front.
I would say swap out the front and rear springs for some Deaver or Icon and you should be good to go. Go for the OUO blocks in the rear. well worth it for lifted trucks.

I have an Icon 12" kit, with 8" springs. Truck rides awesome, it rides as good as stock and a HELL of a lot better the the 6" tuff country that I had on there. I have the Icon shocks with reservoirs.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:28 PM

Deavers sound like a good choice out back. I would like to upgrade from a leaf to a coil up front tho. I'm not understanding why some of you are proposing I swap to 05-07 axles tho. Isn't the rear the exact same except for the opposing shock mounts? Then on the front, if I do a coilover conversion, will it not be the same components and steering geometry as the 05-07 front axle. That's the point it's call a conversion right, bc your converting from a leaf spring style of the 99-04, to the coilover syle of 05-07?

Just some food for thought for myself
Old 06-21-2011, 09:30 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
The 05-up front differential allows for a MUCH tighter turning radius. Night and day difference. The 99-04 has leaf springs, and as such, the turning radius had to be limited so the tires didn't contact the springs. The 05-up suspension has no such limits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.