Steering box swap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Steering box swap

Truck is a 2005 F-250 Crewcab long bed 4x4

On my way home from work today i heard a clunk and a pop while turning and now have no steering. I have narrowed it to being my steering box. My steering has always been pretty sloppy on the freeway with play and over correction. The steering wheel turns the collapsable rod that goes into the steering box but nothing on the other side of the box. Now in some threads i was reading about the rotational counts of the airbag clock spring and all this. I am thinking about ordering a red head steering box for my truck but am not sure how long it'll take to get here. I can get one from the local parts store from $100 less. Has anyone had any luck with these?

I have read red head is the best you can buy, but i just really want my truck back. I also saw the writeup for the redhead box installation but it was for a 2002 is there a difference in my truck and his? Any help???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2011, 02:04 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Pick up a used box. OEM is always better than rebuilt. Is your truck lifted at all? Make sure to flush the entire PS system, as it shares it's oil with the hydroboost. If you had a failure chances are all that metal is circulating throughout the system. You don't need it ruining the hydroboost or the power steering pump. Get a magnetic disposable transmission filter from ford-put it inline with the pump once you replace it to ensure you catch whatever gunk is left after the failure.

Make sure when you disconnect the box you don't spin the steering wheel. You will ruin the clockspring if you do. Before hooking it back up, center the box, and center the front wheels. Then, take your steering wheel, and turn it all the way left. Count the turns (you'll know when to stop spinning, should be 4 turns. You'll feel resistance-stop and go back all the way right. Count the turns, and then center the steering wheel so you have the same amount of turns left or right. then hook up the box to the column. That part is very important. You don't want to be driving and have the clockspring snap when your turn the wheel to lock.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:18 PM

As far as a used box. Locally there arent any super dutys in local junkyards or anything. I can get a reman from ford but was told that the ford remans dont fix the steering slop that alot of guys are experiencing but the redhead did.

I am working on removing the box now to see the damage. I have already flushed the system and plugged the lines. What exactly does the clockspring do? How would I know if it's already broken? When the steering went I tried to back up out of the road and had no steering at all. The wheel just spun from all the way left to all the way right with no movement in my wheels. Could this have damaged the clock spring in doing that??? I just want to make sure this all goes together smoothly.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:27 PM

I have a 32k 07 steering box from a srw 350, Ill send you a PM.

As far as the clockspring, yes, turning the wheel with a bad box could certainly damage it. Does your horn still work? Is the airbag light blinking? If you have steering wheel radio controls, do they still work? How about the cruise control switch? The clockspring is a coil of wiring that allows you to turn the steering wheel while still maintaining a connection to the wiring in the wheel.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:05 PM

The horn still works yes. However until the truck is put together I will not be able to see if my cruise control works. I don't have radio controls on my steering wheel. What'd you replace your steering box with? I have been reading alot about guys who have had their oem ford pieces go out but have seen alot of good reviews about red head.

I'm sending you a return pm now.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:11 PM

I parted out a truck a while back, still have the box. I always used the OEM boxes, when I needed an upgrade, I drilled and tapped my factory one for hydraulic assist. When I had the 99-04 trucks, I used the 05-up box as an upgrade.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:05 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I put a Redhead steering box on my truck. I can tell you this...I think it is built a little heavier duty than OEM but it did not take away the slop from my steering. I bought directly from redhead and purchased the brand new OEM with upgraded gears or whatever they do to them. Good box, but if you are looking to also take the slop out this is not a fix. I have steering wander like crazy with mine. I have done alot of research and different things have fixed different folks issues so who knows. Good luck..these things are a pain to change.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdillenger View Post
I parted out a truck a while back, still have the box. I always used the OEM boxes, when I needed an upgrade, I drilled and tapped my factory one for hydraulic assist. When I had the 99-04 trucks, I used the 05-up box as an upgrade.
Does the 05 up box bolt in without any issues on the 99-04 trucks? What changed on the boxes to make the 05 up better?

Thanks
Old 12-23-2011, 07:48 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
FYI, when off roadin pretty hard i hit a ditch real, real hard, thought i bent my frame hard, anyway it instantly stripped/broke the internals in my steering box, kind of like you describe. could spin my steering wheel freely, steering shaft going into steering box was spining, but the output was not. Stripped/broke the internal gears. Needed a new steering box. Went to ford, new at any dealer they are $374. Redhead seemed liked great stuff when I looked. I decided to go to hydro steering, which is very expensive, but im off roading alot and try to addresss weak links when I find them. good luck
Old 12-23-2011, 07:50 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
05 steering boxes have a much bigger output shaft, so they are not the same as 99-04, if they will fit and/or work? i dont know. if it did bolt up, you would need an 05 pitman arm, and would need to check if the 99-04 ball joint will connect or if that is bigger too(i suspect) in which case its not going to work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.