99-04 front axle swap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99-04 front axle swap

Ok i plan on switching out the front axle of my 2000 f250 with an axle from an 05-07 truck but I found a really good deal on allthe parts I need but it's from an 08. My question is will everything still bolt up the same as an 05-07 axle? Or will using the parts from an 08 make the swap more difficult? I need to know cause hopefully I can get the front end tomorrow.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Serving Our Country!

I am no help, but looking to do the same. Gonna order my axle probably tomorrow. Post up what you find!
Old 05-16-2011, 12:08 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
We can get you everything needed..plus support.

Cary
Old 05-17-2011, 05:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Are you planning on lifting the truck? What steering box are you going to run? If you run the '99-04 steering box you will need to build a custom steering link. If you run the '05-newer steering gear box you won't, but will have to drill the holes in the frame since the mounting bolts are bigger. Everything is 85% bolt up, but you will need to drill a few holes that aren't there, but there are enough existing holes you will not have any trouble with aligning brackets etc. You will need new brake lines. I just went to a local shop and had them make a set of stainless lines for me.

Asthetically I like the coil suspension with the links, but personally I would stay with the '99-04 leaf spring set-up and just do a few upgrades. The coils don't ride much better than the leaf springs.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:13 AM

No need to change the steering box, if the tie rod doesn't fit the Pitman arm just ream it out.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:34 AM

I planned to use the stock pitman arm and steering gear box and just ream the pitman arm. What I need to know is there a difference between the 08 coil buckets and suspension from the 05-07?
Thanks
Old 05-17-2011, 10:18 AM

You can use any coil bucket..'05 up
Old 05-17-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiller View Post
Ok i plan on switching out the front axle of my 2000 f250 with an axle from an 05-07 truck but I found a really good deal on allthe parts I need but it's from an 08. My question is will everything still bolt up the same as an 05-07 axle? Or will using the parts from an 08 make the swap more difficult? I need to know cause hopefully I can get the front end tomorrow.
Thanks
Talk to Cary he just walked me through the conversion on my 02. It rides much better and the turning radus is crazy compaired to the leaf springs

Good luck
Old 05-18-2011, 08:20 PM

ok thanks. It seems pretty straight forward. Ill begin the swap this weekend and ill try to do a write up. right now my truck has a 6' lift and I want to keep it at the same height. Any suggestions on the best riding coils? Ive heard icon's are good, rancho and rough country are pretty cheap but if they ride just as good theres no point in paying extra, just looking for another oppinion.
Thanks
Old 05-19-2011, 04:18 PM

Best riding are Pure Performances, then Icons IMO..I have used both..since your going 6" we can get you whats needed to use a Pure Performance 6" 4 link kit..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.